blackhead disease

pbaros

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2021
Thank you so much for having a platform of information!!! I had never heard of blackhead disease, but this is my first ever turkey. I have read your posts on raising chickens but didn't realize the forum covered most fowl. Due to this I was able to identify blackhead in my turkey and saved her!! Someone had posted about cayenne pepper in their feed. It worked! Every time I stroll through BackYard Chickens I learn something new. Yes, I keep my turkey with my chickens. Yes, they are pets. I know it's crazy but they are so relaxing as are the dogs and cats. I would love to try my hand at peacocks if anyone is in the business.

YEAH for back yard chickens,

pat

Welcome to BYC.
I'm curious. How did you identify blackhead in your turkey?
They will have black spots appearing on their necks. ie; wallie or i call it their gobbler. Turk had two black spots on hers so I immediately starting doing all the research I could find. I have have chickens for a while and had used BYC for info. This time it was very helpful. You have to be very attentive. When I feed and bed them down I go over them to make sure they are healthy. GOOD LUCK!!

They will have black spots appearing on their necks. ie; wallie or i call it their gobbler. Turk had two black spots on hers so I immediately starting doing all the research I could find. I have have chickens for a while and had used BYC for info. This time it was very helpful. You have to be very attentive. When I feed and bed them down I go over them to make sure they are healthy. GOOD LUCK!!
Your turkey didnt have Blackhead. The symptoms wernt there, otherwise your turkey would be dead. Cayenne pepper is not a treatment nor cure for Blackhead.
Here's a link for you how to treat Blackhead. See post #2.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blackhead.1396291/#post-22914243

Here's a link for you to read regarding Blackhead in turkeys, including symptoms:
https://bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/EP69.pdf

Back
Top Bottom