Blind rooster

season1223

Chirping
Sep 28, 2015
Tennessee
I have a blind rooster! He first got attacked by my game rooster about 5 days ago then i think it was 2 days later the other roosters started picking on him and ran him into my outside dogs reach where the dog nearly killed him again! The game rooster attacked his eyes and i believe drove a spur into one eye...it looks like its got a small amount o infection in it! Then since he was attacked by the dog the other eye keeps getting stuck closed! Ive been putting triple antibiotic ointment on them which will loosen them up enuf to open em but he still can't see! Im hoping they will heal but i was wondering if i could use sulfacetamide sodium ophthalmic solution USP 10% in his eyes! It's a little thicker than regular saline eye drops! & regular saline eye drops won't hurt him either will they?

Last edited:
You and I are in a similar boat. My hen got attacked by neighbors dogs in August . She had both eyes swollen and shut. I did not think she would make it........ But she did. and eyes opened.. Problem that did not correct is, she is still blind.. Must be nerve damage or spinal damage, or ???????.. She is hanging in and eats when I place food in front of her.
I cant cull her because of my stand on my pets. She will be here until nature calls her.
I think your rooster will recover and if he has sight on one eye, then he will be good.. Take care of the eyes as best as you are able., I do not have any advice on medication.
idunno.gif
My hen recovered on her own.

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

You and I are in a similar boat.    My hen got attacked  by neighbors dogs in August .   She had both eyes swollen and shut. I  did not think she would make it........     But she did. and eyes opened..       Problem that did not correct is, she is still blind..  Must be nerve damage or spinal damage, or ???????..    She is hanging in and eats when I place food in front of her.
I cant cull her because of my stand on my pets.   She will be here until nature calls her.
I think your rooster will recover and if he has sight on one eye, then he will be good..   Take  care of the eyes as best as you are able.,   I do not have any advice on medication. :idunno  My hen recovered on her own.

WISHING YOU BEST :thumbsup

Thanks! As of right now he has no sight in either eye...he had sight in one eye b4 the dog got him too but... I feel so sorry for him! He was my head honcho! Poor guy has other injuries too so hes not eating much...he drinks plenty of water tho! He will only eat soft food so ive gotten him to eat tomatoes real well and some cooked corn

This is the eye that got spurred! It looks super creepy! It's closed in the pic but looks open cuz of the dot! The other eye doesn't look as bad but it keeps getting sealed shut!

Our hen had a similar infection of her eye and we fed her some plain Greek yogurt and she was better within 2 days. We gave her about a spoonful once a day for the two days until she was better. They love the taste and the other chickens will probably try to eat some too. Don't feed them to much though, because they don't digest dairy very well. A little makes a huge difference. Good luck!

Our hen had a similar infection of her eye and we fed her some plain Greek yogurt and she was better within 2 days. We gave her about a spoonful once a day for the two days until she was better. They love the taste and the other chickens will probably try to eat some too. Don't feed them to much though, because they don't digest dairy very well. A little makes a huge difference. Good luck!

Thanks! Ill try that! His appetite is getting better but i have to spend tons of time chasing him with his food because he pecks around all over the place lookin for it! Lol! Im trying to come up with some kind of system! Gonna test his eyes in a bit to see if he can see light...if so maybe a glow stick in his food and water dish!

My solution for my hen , is I place her into a large dog cage that sits on ground with plastic tray removed. Inside is a dish of water and next to it is another dish with feed. She eventually finds it... I am not sure, but maybe she uses her sense of smell?
idunno.gif

My solution  for my hen , is I place her into a large dog cage that sits on ground with plastic tray removed.    Inside is a dish of water and next to it is another dish with feed.    She eventually finds it...     I am not sure, but maybe she  uses her sense of smell? :idunno

I did something similar! I cut a piece of wood and tiled it with the square stick-on linoleum tiles and put his food bowl and water bowl in one spot...i also put newspaper down on it for easy cleanup! He's figured out where they r...sometimes i have to set him there but he's doing good with it so far! I think im gonna try the thick eye drops! They help so much on me when I get something in my eye or scratch it real bad!

Last edited:
I gotta say im really loving how sweet and cuddly my chickens get when they r injured! Then i get em feeling better and they want nothing to do with me! Well my CX still comes right up to me, but my porcelain booted bantam doesnt and he slept in the bed with my son! Handsome gets so much attention it's unreal and he cuddles up in my arms...lays on his side on my chest! He knows hes safe with mama! I really do hope he gets his eyesight bk tho! His crowing is super loud in the house! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom