Blocking the nest boxes

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
How long does everyone block off the nesting boxes for before leaving them always open again?

Mixed age flock. The older girls haven't slept in a nesting box til the new girls came around and gave them the habit. This morning marked the end of the 3rd or 4th day where I had the boxes blocked off and it seems all is well in the roosting department between the older tribe and younger. Nobody's sleeping only the floor either.

Reason I ask is I'm not sure if I had one lay out in the run and break her egg while I was unblocking the boxes or not. But I didn't notice the shell when I went to open the door and I had to physically go in the coop to unblock where I had 2 hens patiently awaiting the use of the nest box.

Regardless it was a broken egg at some point. I woke up later today than I normally do (between 5 and 6 am) and I already have eggs in the nest. So im guessing if it was this am once she started moving she couldn't hold it anymore.

Update***

They still used the nest boxes tonight so I blocked them off again. Seems that the alpha hen may be pushing them there away from the roost bars. There's always one senior girl there with them...usually standing.

How long does everyone block off the nesting boxes for before leaving them always open again?
I block the nests an hour before roosting time,
then unblock them after dark when I lock up.
It most likely take more than a few nights of doing this before the youngers make their place on the roost. It can really help to have a separate slightly lower roost for the youngers.

I block the nests an hour before roosting time,
then unblock them after dark when I lock up.
It most likely take more than a few nights of doing this before the youngers make their place on the roost. It can really help to have a separate slightly lower roost for the youngers.
I currently have 3 roost bars all at varying heights(18", 24" and 30"). With the nest boxes blocked they do roost and not sleep on the floor. But if they're unblocked they choose the nest boxes.

Remove the upper boxes or raise the roost.

You can't stop chickens from roosting in the highest place they have available.
What I find puzzling is the seniors paid no mind to the roost boxes in their exact location. As far as height goes until the newcomers came. It's still only one of the seniors and I think she's just bullying them over there.

Back
Top Bottom