Blood and yellow diarrhea in 8 mo pullet

Tor14

Chirping
Sep 22, 2021
My sweet 8 mo pullet Halley suddenly was lethargic and eating less yesterday so we isolated her. We just got done treating chickens with CORID due to bloody poops found in coop. Isolated her and found she has yellow and bloody diarrhea with what could be worms (will add pic when I get home)

our store only has horse safe guard or pellets. I read a pea size amount in her beak for 3 days which I will start today. Does anyone have any other suggestions or directions or ways I can help her? My flock are my pets not just my food source so willing to try anything

4DAC25F9-7A4B-42E3-9AC2-053436FEA0F9.jpeg
the Orange substance next to the stool is pumpkin. She pooped on the plate next to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 1
any suggestions helpful or if all hopes lost helpful to know too. We leave for the holidays on Tuesday so hoping to develop a good treatment plan to try and save her if possible and hand off to neighbor while we are gone.

If this were my chicken, I would treat for coccidiosis and possible intestinal tract bacteria. That would be Corid water, Corid drench and sulfa. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/ treats both without need for Corid.

Or get the sulfa only and use with Corid. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/

Yes, the mail will take forever to deliver, but you can get the Corid from a feed store and use any antibiotic you might have on hand until the meds arrive, then switch.

Have you been feeding pumpkin before this too, or just after?
They’ve been eating pumpkin for a few months as we grow our own and have shared small amounts as a treat. Thank you very much for all the advice. Very much appreciated. These chickens have been nothing but a head (and heart) ache for me as a human with a medical background and no experience with birds.

They’ve been eating pumpkin for a few months as we grow our own and have shared small amounts as a treat. Thank you very much for all the advice. Very much appreciated. These chickens have been nothing but a head (and heart) ache for me as a human with a medical background and no experience with birds.
I'd stop giving them pumpkin for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom