Blood in droppings

Justina24

Hatching
Oct 1, 2017
I'm a new chicken owner and yesterday I noticed some blood in the droppings. This morning no blood but the droppings don't look normal to me. I'm not sure which chicken as they are all eating and acting normal. Me and my girls are so attached to these chickens and we would be devastated to lose one!! We've raised them from chicks and they are about 18 weeks old now.

Attachments

• IMG_7968.JPG
    IMG_7968.JPG
    632.7 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to BYC. Can you get a picture of the bloody droppings? Sometimes there will be normal intestinal shed which looks a bit like orange-red tomatoes, but it would be good to treat if it is bloody or more of them. Blood in droppings may be from possible coccidiosis, something in the soil and their poop that they normally develop resistance to in small amounts. Corid (amprollium) in the water--1 1/2 tsp of powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days is the usual treatment. It won't hurt them to treat with Corid if they don't have it. A vet could possibly test droppings for cocci, but I wouldn't wait if any look sleepy or stand around puffed up.

OK, blood in poop is usually a sign of coccidosis. Youll need to treat your whole flock and start it quickly, cocci can kill fast. The treatment is Corid. You can get it at TSC or other farm store, in the cattle section. Put 1 1/2 tsp in 1 gallon of water, make a new batch every day and make that their only water source. Don't give vitamins while treating them. Treat them for 5-7 days.
corid.jpg
Corid1.jpg

Welcome to BYC. Can you get a picture of the bloody droppings? Sometimes there will be normal intestinal shed which looks a bit like orange-red tomatoes, but it would be good to treat if it is bloody or more of them. Blood in droppings may be from possible coccidiosis, something in the soil and their poop that they normally develop resistance to in small amounts. Corid (amprollium) in the water--1 1/2 tsp of powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days is the usual treatment. It won't hurt them to treat with Corid if they don't have it. A vet could possibly test droppings for cocci, but I wouldn't wait if any look sleepy or stand around puffed up.

Thank you for your response. I didn't think to take a picture yesterday and I cleaned the coop. The photo I attached was from today. All are acting normal so not sure whether to treat or wait.

Do NOT wait! Waiting will get you dead chickens. Cocci kills fast. They go from looking fine to being puffed up and sleepy. By then they may not drink the cocci water on their own and youll have to fight for their lives. The treatment does not hurt them if it turns out not to be coccidosis, but will save them if it is.

Do NOT wait! Waiting will get you dead chickens. Cocci kills fast. They go from looking fine to being puffed up and sleepy. By then they may not drink the cocci water on their own and youll have to fight for their lives. The treatment does not hurt them if it turns out not to be coccidosis, but will save them if it is.
Okay I will treat! How often should I make sure they are drinking the water?

1 is laying eggs - how long after treating do you not eat the eggs?

I'm a new chicken owner and yesterday I noticed some blood in the droppings. This morning no blood but the droppings don't look normal to me. I'm not sure which chicken as they are all eating and acting normal. Me and my girls are so attached to these chickens and we would be devastated to lose one!! We've raised them from chicks and they are about 18 weeks old now.
@casportpony we need a poop inspection

Back
Top Bottom