Blood in duckling poop

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
I have a 2 day old mallard that started pooping watery blood. It is the smallest duckling out of 20 hatched. Seems to be eating and drinking fine but kinda says away from the other babies in the brooder. The first poop was big but regular looking with blood in it. The one it just did was more like watery blood. Any ideas where to start?

I have a 2 day old mallard that started pooping watery blood. It is the smallest duckling out of 20 hatched. Seems to be eating and drinking fine but kinda says away from the other babies in the brooder. The first poop was big but regular looking with blood in it. The one it just did was more like watery blood. Any ideas where to start?

Could you post a picture of the feces?

Have you fed the duckling any red-colored treats? Have they been outside yet?

It could be due to Coccidiosis, intestinal shed, toxicosis, etc.

20201110_201018.jpg
20201110_200200.jpg
They went straight from incubator to brooder no treats they're eating purina chick start and ground up poultry booster for niacin. All other ducklings are the usual little rambunctious critters but this one just kinda hangs out in one spot by itself most the time. When it popped it was basically like a squirt of bloody water. The first one was alot more solid but I threw it out before realizing what was goin on.

View attachment 2406992View attachment 2406994They went straight from incubator to brooder no treats they're eating purina chick start and ground up poultry booster for niacin. All other ducklings are the usual little rambunctious critters but this one just kinda hangs out in one spot by itself most the time. When it popped it was basically like a squirt of bloody water. The first one was alot more solid but I threw it out before realizing what was goin on.

Is it possible one was injured, or are you sure it came from the feces?

Given their age, and that they've never been exposed to dirt, it's unlikely the blood in her feces is due to coccidia attacking the intestinal lining. Looking at your setup, it also seems unlikely that toxicosis such as heavy metal ingestion would be a concern.

Viruses such as DVE, can cause bloody stool, but that is most often seen in older birds, around a week to full-grown.

Ultimately, it's hard to tell what exactly is going on, if she was mine, I would try to keep her warm, and drip a few drops of sugar water, or Gatorade along her bill, being careful not to aspirate her, to make sure she stays hydrated. Soupy feed, and mashed scrambled eggs can also be offered. If it looks like she is getting bullied by the other birds, it may be best to make a no-touch but-see pen.

I should add, if you want to treat for Coccidiosis, that's fine. It is a very safe drug. You can get some of liquid, and give her a drop or two along her bill.

Its definitely its feces we saw it poop. This morning it was sitting in the watering container it's a coffee container with holes cut in the sides so just their heads can get in somehow it got through a hole. Only thing I could think might be wrong is it ate some pine bedding accidentally.

Theres another one this evening acting lethargic like the other one was. No bloody stool but acts like it has no energy kinda half opened eyes just kinda laying down more than up and running like the rest. It's also pretty small like the other one was.

Back
Top Bottom