Blood in incubator

kirkyanne

Songster
5 Years
Mar 5, 2017
Australia
I had a chick hatch last night with a bloody bottom. I'm guessing it hatched too early. It passed away in incubator a few hours later before drying off. There was blood all over the incubator. I quickly tried to open to remove chick and wipe some blood. Looks like some has dripped into the water Chambers. Will this affect other chicks hatching. They may not hatch until tomorrow. I have only one other egg pipping. I don't want to open and clean it out as worried about affecting humidity. But also worried about bacteria and new chicks hatching. Thanks!

Oh, so sorry to hear that. It is awful losing a chick. I don't know what the best course of action is. I have only hatched with broody hens. Best of luck with your other babies!

I keep stypix or cornstarch near incubator for just such situations, they can kick out and the chord still attached to the egg hasn't dried up and cause some bleeding. not much you can do now until hatch finishes though, once last one is out removed them asap to the brooder.

sorry for your loss, at least you know what happened, Ion last hatch had one die in chell without internally pipping completely ready
@Ridgerunner you know for sure?

Last edited:
I keep stypix or cornstarch near incubator for just such situations, they can kick out and the chord still attached to the egg hasn't dried up and cause some bleeding. not much you can do now until hatch finishes though, once last one is out removed them asap to the brooder.

sorry for your loss, at least you know what happened, Ion last hatch had one die in chell without internally pipping completely ready
@Ridgerunner you know for sure?
Would arrowroot powder be OK? Hoping doesn't happen again.

Would arrowroot powder be OK? Hoping doesn't happen again.

good question, don't know what it's for, I can do some research real quick as I have plenty of herb books that tell me what the herb is for and any contradictions as me and pharmaceuticals do not get along period, will get back to you asap

Sounds like we don't have a lot of info up here on it, but it's used in cooking in South America much like Cornstarch just a little different, and some say it's good for boosting immune, if that's all you have on hand cannot hurt to try to stop a bleed

:frow

Im sorry about your chick. It is called an umbilical cord hernia and ive only seen it in my hatches when the temps on the incubators are too high. Im not sure if there are other causes but in the future if u ever see one you should treat it as an emergency and pull it from the hatcher to be treated immediately. I dont envy your cleaning job but blood is sterile until it is out of the body so it shouldnt hurt anything as long as it isnt a staggered hatch and it will be cleaned as soon as your current hatch is over with.

Thankyou for the advice. I'm hoping it won't happen again. Chick also had curled claws. First time incubating. Mumma, hen seems to be doing much better with other chicks. No more hatches as yet but hopefully soon and without so much anxiety. Hard to know what best thing is to do. Wish I had of taken it out now. So stressful!

Sounds like we don't have a lot of info up here on it, but it's used in cooking in South America much like Cornstarch just a little different, and some say it's good for boosting immune, if that's all you have on hand cannot hurt to try to stop a bleed
I think it's also called tapioca flour. I know it used similar ways to cornstarch so thought possibly might help. Thanks so much for checking for me.

We all go through this learning when using an incubator, some of those lessons are a bitter pill to take but are well remembered. They do monthly hatch alongs you'd be more than welcome to join and have people with a lot of experience to help and guide if something comes up too. if you would like to join in them when your going to hatch. I think my issues about drove everyone Bonkers when I started, not to many that hatch at high elevations, but we eventually got it figured out

Back
Top Bottom