Blood in Poop?!? (detailed somewhat)

tweetyflights

Songster
9 Years
Aug 16, 2010
Help someone! As some may know I have my PET quail (cali.) whom I have hand raised since birth. He was asleep on my bed while I was finishing up some essays on my laptop (I'm also on bed) and I noticed some blood in his poop. First thought, something from the uterus or some egg- related thing, but..... he a male. So, scratch that thought. Second thought, he somehow cut himself near his bum. After thorough examination, nope no cuts or scrapes, or even scabs. He has been acting normal, possibly a tiny lethargic (observations from this moment) though, I did just wake him up from his nap and it is night time. He's had diarrhea lately, and one of the two very liquidy poops does have blood in it. Then he has two other poops (sounds gross but he has his special towels and he was out for a couple hours) are more normal, though still a little liquidy and not the normal little balls, and they too have blood in them. About half the poop (small ones) is blood in present #1 and almost all ( red little " liquid ball" in center and white ring around the center "ball") for the second present.
Then just below poop #2 is sort of a streak of red. The blood is sort of 3 parts membrane to 1 part liquid. Please help, as I just can't lose I'm now! I can get pics. up tomorrow, as it's late tonight. Any information is helpful, and tell me all I can do to make him fell comfy and healthy. Feel free to ask any questions that could help, and I will try to answer them as best and soon as I can. Please help ASAP!

His poops went back to completely normal right after I posted that. I will check his fecal matter more often for the next while, in case it reoccurs.

@Poultryboy15- I was going to skip class today and do so, but then he got "normal". I will is I notice it again.

@JJMR794- I know you don't believe that ACV worms them (as I agree, there is no proof) but he has that in his water dishes, inside and out. He also gets pumpkin seeds (fresh) in his feed and canned pumpkin (flesh and all) once a week, if we have it. These may not be the most effective wormers but they have worked for me and probably others. They are natural and probably a heck of a lot healthier (for both human and bird) than others. I checked, no dissected, a couple of his feces (microscope included!)and there was no evidence of living organisms.

Though he is better, does anyone have any clue as too what caused it so I could hopefully prevent it in the future?

Last edited:
For The Record... Canned Pumpkin Wont Do It
sad.png
Has To Be Fresh Raw Pumpkin... Cooking/ Heat Denatures The Enzyme In The Fruit That Deworms..

Obviously The Lil Guy Means Alot To You... If I Were In Your Place I Would Give Him Some Wazine For Good Measure

Can it be fresh pumpkin , but frozen? I only have a few quail and could never use up a fresh pumpkin.

THERE'S A NATURAL ENZYME IN FRESH RAW PUMPKIN. I CANNOT SAY IF FREEZING WOULD DESTROY OR DENATURE IT, BUT I DO KNOW HEAT DOES. MY GUESS WOULD BE FREEZING LIKELY EFFECTS IT AS WELL? AS OFTEN IF A SUBSTANCE IS EFFECTED BY THERMAL CHANGES SUCH AS HEATING THEN EXTREME COLD EFFECTS IT AS WELL

Yeah, the canned pumpkin doesn't have the same effects as the raw if you were going to use it as a dewormer. I would watch him closely, take him to a vet. Blood in feces is something to be concerned about.

Ok so scratch canned pumpkin as a de-wormer. But he still enjoys it as a treat. Guess I'll have to find some fresh pumpkin in my area and stock up every halloween.

@quailladyoffortmyers Ya, I'm watching him very closely at the moment for signs of anything suspicious. I am probably being over protective, but oh well. I will take him to the vet, though they usually ask me questions bout quail if someone brings in an orphan/injured one (they have an avain vet, but he mainly works on exotic species like parrots and such). Though they do have any nessicary "substances" that I may not be able to obtain easily. If it appears again, I will by all means rush him to the vet.

Just for future refrences, how would you get rid of worms if your poultry already has it?

* sorry for my horrible spelling, it won't let me right click to fix it on the new forum layout.

Last edited:
Ok so scratch canned pumpkin as a de-wormer. But he still enjoys it as a treat. Guess I'll have to find some fresh pumpkin in my area and stock up every halloween.

@quailladyoffortmyers Ya, I'm watching him very closely at the moment for signs of anything suspicious. I am probably being over protective, but oh well. I will take him to the vet, though they usually ask me questions bout quail if someone brings in an orphan/injured one (they have an avain vet, but he mainly works on exotic species like parrots and such). Though they do have any nessicary "substances" that I may not be able to obtain easily. If it appears again, I will by all means rush him to the vet.

Just for future refrences, how would you get rid of worms if your poultry already has it?

* sorry for my horrible spelling, it won't let me right click to fix it on the new forum layout.

Yes, you can't RMB click to correct spelling because this board is new and improved. All they need to do is remove the cross paste block on the site and your firefox/google/other but IE can correct your spelling.
All that aside, the best thing I can tell you about worms and quail goes, is to avoid worms in the first place. Elevated wire bottom pens have served me well over the years, as well as not feeding unprocessed lawn/garden clippings. Call on a vet when needed. Raw pumpkin, pumpkin seeds are a natural de-wormer as well as DE.

Back
Top Bottom