Blood in poop

jolenesdad

Free Ranging
Premium member
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
I have never done the piece of sod in the brooder thing myself but I don't think it is a bad idea.
It has been almost 10 years since I used medicated feed. I bought it once on purpose and once by mistake. I've bought Corid once and used it twice but it eventually expired and I threw it away a couple years ago. I think the next time I get to the feed store I'll buy some again since I will be having chicks hatch beginning next week. I have done 3 things that I think have kept coccidiosis at bay all these years. A probiotic powder (Gro2Max) goes into chicks first water when they hatch and then weekly for a while. I keep bedding bone dry and feeders full which limits the amount of time they spend picking up bits (feces) from the bedding.
The bacteria and yeasts in the Gro2Max tend to populate the intestinal walls giving the coccidia fewer attachment loci.
Coccidia is unable to complete its lifecycle without moisture.
It is really difficult to tell if there are different concentrations in different locations.
Almost any animal with soil contact, including humans, is vulnerable to one or multiple species of eimeria.
My meat birds are on a probiotic and electrolyte their entire lives with minerals for their legs. I have however been experimenting with feeders and feed amounts because they were wasting a ton of feed.

I did note today looking back through all of my notes that these chickens were the first that cycled through all the pens and to their final coop and have always been on concrete.

now that I think of that, I think that’s probably the most stand out difference, every other group has been on actual dirt/sand at some point by the age they start going out. Plus, these are the first large hatch of chicks I’ve had in the wet winter months. (Ha... winter... SE Texas...)

thanks again for all the info. I may be back with more ?s after mulling this.:oops::caf

Top Bottom