Blood in stool?

Chikira

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2021
3 week old baby chicks, I recently noticed blood in my chick’s stool this morning for the first time. I fed them mealworms for the first time yesterday, they loved it but could it be from that? Other causes? I read online about coccodiosis, any other indicators for this disease from your experience that could indicate this bloody stool is from coccodiosis? Any chance this could be regular and nothing to worry about? The chicks are active and eating and drinking, they aren’t lethargic at all.

Attachments

• 9A670555-8B31-408A-8ED8-C0670A5ED1A2.jpeg
    9A670555-8B31-408A-8ED8-C0670A5ED1A2.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 22
3 week old baby chicks, I recently noticed blood in my chick’s stool this morning for the first time. I fed them mealworms for the first time yesterday, they loved it but could it be from that? Other causes? I read online about coccodiosis, any other indicators for this disease from your experience that could indicate this bloody stool is from coccodiosis? Any chance this could be regular and nothing to worry about? The chicks are active and eating and drinking, they aren’t lethargic at all.

Also another thing: they pick at the wood chips a lot and sift through them to the bottom to eat the smaller ones. Could it be from that?
I agree, hard to tell if that's blood, intestinal lining or just cecal poop. Wouldn't hurt to have Corid on hand if you need it. They are active/eating/drinking right now.

You mention they are picking up shavings and eating them. No big deal usually, I see chicks do that a lot - it's exploring their environment. I do recommend that you provide chick grit free choice, if you haven't already done so.

Also another thing: they pick at the wood chips a lot and sift through them to the bottom to eat the smaller ones. Could it be from that?

Sometimes chickens will shed their intestinal lining in their poo, and it can look a lot like blood, so I think that’s what it is. I can’t see the picture very well on my phone though. Also, eating the wood chips is normal, mine did that and they were fine.

Hard to tell from that photo. You may want to pick up some Corid and have it on hand just in case, as coccidiosis can take a chick down fast. Or if you're really worried, you can go ahead and do a preventative course of Corid for the time being, as it doesn't hurt them even if they don't have it.

Back
Top Bottom