Blood in stool

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
Had one hen with diarrhea. It seemed like it got better after treating with corid. Now today I saw this and a couple othomust’ve had diarrhea overnight as it was under the perches. I don’t know which ones. No one is acting like they are sick. The only other thing I know to do is treat for worms. They are having a terrible molt.
Worm treatment or more Corid? I did it for 10 days 3 weeks ago. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow. It always seems to be they get sick right before I leave.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    913.8 KB · Views: 69
How much Corid were you using? Do they go outdoors to free range or stay mostly inside a run? Are you keeping their bedding dry and stirred and replacing it when needed? Ideally, it would be nice to get a fecal float on some droppings like you posted if you could get a vet to do that without seeing the chicken. But if not, I would worm them with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeat that in 10 days. The alternative wormer is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, dosage of 1.25 ml orally for 5 straight days. Those dosages are for a 5 pound chicken.

2 teaspoons per gallon of corid. Yes, I am very particular about the cleanliness of the coop. I scrape the poop every day off of the board and put new bedding once a week it is never wet. They free range in my backyard occasionally. But they have a very large run.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I guess I will treat them for the worms as soon as I get back and hope they are OK. They are not acting any different at the moment.

It is good that you didn’t see any more of the droppings with blood, and that they are all acting normal. It sounds like you used the correct dosage on the Corid. There may have just been some bloody droppings from one who had some residual irritation. I would have your chicken sitter just watch for any weakness or problems. Hopefully, they will be fine. Have a good trip.

How much Corid were you using? Do they go outdoors to free range or stay mostly inside a run? Are you keeping their bedding dry and stirred and replacing it when needed? Ideally, it would be nice to get a fecal float on some droppings like you posted if you could get a vet to do that without seeing the chicken. But if not, I would worm them with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeat that in 10 days. The alternative wormer is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, dosage of 1.25 ml orally for 5 straight days. Those dosages are for a 5 pound chicken.
Hi there thanks for the advice. Where can I get Valbazenand like safeguard do I need a goat or a sheep type or do they sell it For Chickens?

Now I
I guess I will treat them for the worms as soon as I get back and hope they are OK. They are not acting any different at the moment.
Now I found this under perch where I found the blood in poop. So I need to treat for worms. I think I found a lab that might do the float test without a vet

Back
Top Bottom