Blood on rooster’s face and comb

Jan 25, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Hello all
My rooster Gonzalo has recently made friends with the new additions (4 Brahma hens, added in August). One of the hens in particular has taken to what I thought was lovingly grooming his face. He holds completely still and lets her peck. Today, there is blood on his comb and face. I have not seen any evidence of lice, but I will have another good look today. I will try and get a picture today.
Any idea from anyone here about
1. What caused her to peck to blood and
2. Whether there is something I can put on him to help heal and stop more pecking?

It is cold here (currently 9F and it’s a mild day).

Thank you in advance.

Hello all
My rooster Gonzalo has recently made friends with the new additions (4 Brahma hens, added in August). One of the hens in particular has taken to what I thought was lovingly grooming his face. He holds completely still and lets her peck. Today, there is blood on his comb and face. I have not seen any evidence of lice, but I will have another good look today. I will try and get a picture today.
2. Whether there is something I can put on him to help heal and stop more pecking?

Thank you in advance.
Bring him inside and wash the blood off and dry him really well. Combs bleed a lot when pecked.
If you have providone, soak a Q-tip and gently swab the injury. Then put him back out with the girls.
Someone may have gotten a little over zealous and took a chunk out of his comb.
I wouldn't worry unless it happens again.

Bring him inside and wash the blood off and dry him really well. Combs bleed a lot when pecked.
If you have providone, soak a Q-tip and gently swab the injury. Then put him back out with the girls.
Someone may have gotten a little over zealous and took a chunk out of his comb.
I wouldn't worry unless it happens again.
Ok, thank you so much!
I don’t have providone, but I have betadine and chlorhexadine. Shall I go with betadine?

Hello all

Thank you in advance.
Get some photos please.

A rooster will stand there and let hen pick at a scab on their comb which makes it worse. You can try wiping it off to see if they will leave it alone, but I've found that most of the time he will continue to stand there and let them pick at it. Roosters love attention.
Depending on how much damage they are doing to him you may find it difficult to heal completely.
I have had to separate roosters from the ladies in order to get a comb to heal. One thing I did not try was Pine Tar which may be worth a shot to see if the hens will leave that alone.
You can find Pine Tar at stores like TSC or order it online off Amazon, etc.

Here he is, after being cleaned up.
1609445564021.jpeg

It is the third spike on his comb and the front part of his eyebrow.

Other side.
1609445650777.jpeg

Above his eye, where it is more brown than red (from betadine).

And those are his lovely new ladies.

Today, Gonzalo’s comb was bleeding again, as well as one of his old hen’s (she is bottom rung of her crew, but above the new ladies). I treated both with betadine, and then painted with Blukote. Hopefully this will deter further pecking. I looked into the pine tar, and I read that people had a hard time working with it in cold temps. It is cold here...
I think the chickens are getting restless with being cooped up. The door is open, but they are choosing to stay in. They have also started pecking at the styrofoam on the door.
I am going to get them an iceberg lettuce on my next shopping trip.

Back
Top Bottom