"Blood red" yolks...What is happening?

animal nut

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
S. E Ohio
My 1 year old cochin is laying eggs that have blood red yolks. I am not kinding. My DH called me at work today wanting to know what was going on. I saw them when I went home for lunch. I thought maybe he was crazy but they are "blood red".
barnie.gif
We free range the girls all day everyday. None of the other hens that are laying are laying red yolks. DH wants me to cull her.

Please help!!!!!!!!

could you post a pic to show what you are talking about - I just can't imagine a bloody yolk. I would love to see what you mean.

Does she have access to fresh fruits? I ask this because all of mine that we use for eating eggs free range, plus they get all the garden scraps. This weekend I cracked one open and it was red. This was my first experience with it too, but it smelled and tasted like the others. No harm, no foul I say. Nothing to cull over, just a fresh, free range egg. Of course, I could be wrong.

Sorry I am at work and didn't get a picture. Here goes. They yolk is not yellow, it is red...Blood red. They looked like pure blood but I am sure they were not. The Dks said that they tasted funny. I could not stand to look at them.
No fruit.... could it be the berries from the honeysuckle? They all have been eating the berries from my honeysuckle.

Yep, it sure could be the berries. Feeds definitely affect yolk color. Since those berries are red, I am sure that is it. She is probably just eating more of them then the other birds.

Before you cull her, I would definately try to separate her and make sure she only gets "normal" food for a while. If the whole yolk s red, as opposed to having bloody red streaks, I would strongly suspect her diet.

Back
Top Bottom