Blood ring mistake, brown eggs

valeriebutler

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2016
I have a broody sitting on eggs, hatch date is the 23rd I candled the eight eggs she's sitting on and was positive of a quitter and a dud. The quitter had a deffinate ring. I was positive or so I thought... I decided to do an eggtopsy well because I was curious and cracked it open. And we'll definitely no blood ring. Babe had nice big blood vessels and it's heart was beating I felt so bad. I can only assume that with the dark color of the egg shell that I was mistaken. I have to ask if you suspect a blood ring or in my case "was" positive of said blood ring how long do I wait before officially Cull the egg?

You aren't the first person that's happened to. It's best to leave blood ring eggs until you are sure the baby isn't growing/getting bigger compared to the other eggs. Don't beat yourself up - we all make mistakes and there's an endless amount to learn about this hobby of ours. :hugs

Dark eggs are difficult to candle. If you aren't 100% sure, take note of what you do see and give it several more days and candle again to see if there was further development or not before removing it completely. If the egg appears darker inside than before, then it's developing for sure. If it appears the same, remove it.

I did the same thing you did with two eggs on my first incubation, and was quite devastated to see a little tiny developing chick inside the eggs still alive. ;_;

Back
Top Bottom