Blood ring whilst candling - an early quitter?

Jun 9, 2020
Hello all,

I posted a week or so ago with a few questions regarding hatching chicks and broken eggs. Three eggs have now broken (possibly because two hens are on the same nest!). We now have 5 eggs left - it's now day 12! 4 eggs are 100% alive - fantastic vein growth and visible movement. The 5th egg I am 99% sure is dead, however I just wanted to second opinion before I throw it.

No movement or change for 4 days now, and no visible veins like the others. The dark patch and chick foetus are very mobile, i.e the egg contents plus the dark spot just slosh around when I move the egg (and I cannot detect any movement when it's still). The air cell also appears in completely the wrong place - the side of the egg rather than the bottom? I cannot seem to see an obvious blood ring (except for maybe image 4?).. could anyone have a look at these photos below and let me know if it almost certainly died? I'd love some advice! If so I will take it out to prevent it from contaminating the 4 other viable eggs. Thank you!

IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG
IMG_4512.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG

Hard to tell from the picture, but going off your description, I would say it is dead. remove it asap to avoid it exploding and contaminating the rest of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom