Blood tinged poop PLEASE HELP!!!

I would treat them all. Unless you know without a doubt that they were vaccinated. And even if they were, the corid wont hurt them.

Okay, good to know! I know for sure the ten youngest ones were vaccinated as I purchased them from a professional hatchery but I am thinking they should all get it regardless as I've been reading about the many kinds of cocci that some vaccines don't cover anyways just didn't want to do more harm than good. So much to still learn it's ongoing...

if some of your birds were vaccinated, treating them with corid will defeat the purpose of the vaccination.
"The vaccine is actually a live, mild strain of coccidia that stimulates chicks’ immunity to natural infection with more aggressive versions of coccidia. After vaccinating chicks, don’t feed medicated feed; doing so defeats the purpose of the vaccine. " https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/raising-chickens/coccidiosis-in-chickens/

if some of your birds were vaccinated, treating them with corid will defeat the purpose of the vaccination.
"The vaccine is actually a live, mild strain of coccidia that stimulates chicks’ immunity to natural infection with more aggressive versions of coccidia. After vaccinating chicks, don’t feed medicated feed; doing so defeats the purpose of the vaccine. " https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/raising-chickens/coccidiosis-in-chickens/

That's where I get lost... I keep reading articles saying to treat all birds even the vaccinated ones then others say not to so many conflicting ideas out there. I have a good relationship with our vet as we have had dogs, goats, and a cat for a while with her so I'm hoping she can clarify.

Also wondering if I should be worried about the whole flock or just the two new ones that haven't been vaccinated?

Thank you everyone for all your help, I feel better off than before, and have definitely learnt my lesson! Just want to give the flock the best chance and with all the info I feel more confident to prevent in the future and hopefully treat. Next time I will be not so quick to jump on herd immunity without more research!

I'm hoping the vaccinated ones will be able to pull through as I don't want to lose anyone, I have been cleaning regularly

When vaccinated for coccidiosis it is advised to not change the bedding for a few weeks as the immunisation will be acquired by the chicks ingesting their own (vaccinated) droppings over and over again. For this reason it is also advised to not raise them on grating as they would not be able to reach and ingest their own droppings and the vaccination would fail.

When vaccinated for coccidiosis it is advised to not change the bedding for a few weeks as the immunisation will be acquired by the chicks ingesting their own (vaccinated) droppings over and over again.

I have been reading this more and more as well 🤦🏻‍♀️ I kept reading articles talking about preventing it but not many that I had found initially talked about the vaccinated ones and the importance of leaving dirty shavings for some time for them! Thank you for the info 😊

Okay, good to know! I know for sure the ten youngest ones were vaccinated as I purchased them from a professional hatchery but I am thinking they should all get it regardless as I've been reading about the many kinds of cocci that some vaccines don't cover anyways just didn't want to do more harm than good. So much to still learn it's ongoing...
If you are absolutely certain they have received the coccidia vaccination, do not treat them with Corid. The vaccination is causing an immunity to coccidia. If you treat for coccidia you are voiding the immunization.

Update! I was able to get a sample to the vet and she was very helpful, advised to baycox whole flock as vaccine works more like a flu shot than a vaccine and doesn't work for all strains. I am wondering if anyone can tell me best solution to use to disinfect the coop? Ammonia? I've been told to use bleach but also read it's ineffective?

Back
Top Bottom