Blood tinged poop PLEASE HELP!!!

Update! I was able to get a sample to the vet and she was very helpful, advised to baycox whole flock as vaccine works more like a flu shot than a vaccine and doesn't work for all strains. I am wondering if anyone can tell me best solution to use to disinfect the coop? Ammonia? I've been told to use bleach but also read it's ineffective?
Bleach does not work on coccidia. Unfortunately. I bought something for disinfection called Interkokask... not sure if this is available in the US. If you can't get that google disinfection coccidia and I am sure you will find something.
Good luck with your flock! Hope it works. I have treated mine twice and it still came back. I am finally letting it run it's course since they are old enough. So far so good. I had to put 4 animals down due to severe diarrhea... another one tonight probably. The others are doing well. The poop has also changed back to normal for the most part. There is hope yet.

Bleach does not work on coccidia. Unfortunately. I bought something for disinfection called Interkokask... not sure if this is available in the US. If you can't get that google disinfection coccidia and I am sure you will find something.
Good luck with your flock! Hope it works. I have treated mine twice and it still came back. I am finally letting it run it's course since they are old enough. So far so good. I had to put 4 animals down due to severe diarrhea... another one tonight probably. The others are doing well. The poop has also changed back to normal for the most part. There is hope yet.

I am in Canada which unfortunately we have WAY TOO MANY restrictions on everything for purchase.

It's been a really bad year here for cocci (so much rain) my vet told me I was the fifth case this week... I am fortunate as I haven't lost anyone yet so I'm hopeful but am prepared for the worst even if I don't want to be. My vet told me one of her clients lost 20 of her birds in two days she had started the flock 5 years ago and hadn't introduced new outside birds since she brought the original 4 home she lost chicks and healthy adults. From what I've been reading and been told it's becoming more and more tricky.

I am in Canada which unfortunately we have WAY TOO MANY restrictions on everything for purchase.

It's been a really bad year here for cocci (so much rain) my vet told me I was the fifth case this week... I am fortunate as I haven't lost anyone yet so I'm hopeful but am prepared for the worst even if I don't want to be. My vet told me one of her clients lost 20 of her birds in two days she had started the flock 5 years ago and hadn't introduced new outside birds since she brought the original 4 home she lost chicks and healthy adults. From what I've been reading and been told it's becoming more and more tricky.
The issue is they are everywhere... even if there have never been any chickens on the ground. They can stay alive for quite a long time. And yes, a wet situation does have an impact.
They always looked more sick on rainy days than when it was warm and dry.
Only the strong survive... it's hard... but we should take that to heart... only use the survivors to reproduce. At least that is the plan... if I can follow thru with that... that is another story. :confused:

I did also put oil of oregano in their water this morning as I was waiting to go to vet and hopefully with a med etc., And I did notice when I came back to give them the baycox they all seemed to have more energy and were bolting around a lot more, I'm thinking of implementing giving them some every once in a while if they pull through to help keep the cocci numbers down I'm hoping!

The issue is they are everywhere... even if there have never been any chickens on the ground. They can stay alive for quite a long time. And yes, a wet situation does have an impact.
Only the strong survive... it's hard... but we should take that to heart... only use the survivors to reproduce. At least that is the plan... if I can follow thru with that... that is another story. :confused:

Exactly, they are everywhere, it's nuts! Doesn't matter how much you clean/prevent/treat in some cases mother nature has other harsh plans 😔 I remain hopeful for both of us though 💓 the strong will prevail!

:gig:gig:gig
well, of course you only use the survivors for breeding... can't do it with a dead chicken...
What I meant was to only use the ones that haven't been too sick thru the whole ordeal. The strong ones...

:gig:gig:gig
well, of course you only use the survivors for breeding... can't do it with a dead chicken...
What I meant was to only use the ones that haven't been too sick thru the whole ordeal. The strong ones...

Bahahaha I knew you didn't mean dead chickens! I feel bad I'm laughing at that but all I'm thinking now is "WHY WONT YOU LAY!" 🤦🏻‍♀️ 😂

Bahahaha I knew you didn't mean dead chickens! I feel bad I'm laughing at that but all I'm thinking now is "WHY WONT YOU LAY!" 🤦🏻‍♀️ 😂
Don't feel bad laughing... when I saw what I wrote I was laughing at myself so hard!!
"My chicken won't lay anymore, what could be the reason?" 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom