Blood under perches, what could it be?

Courtney Jane

Chirping
Nov 13, 2018
Perth Western Australia
Hi guys!

The other day when Matilda was laying an egg I noticed a couple drops of blood dripping from the nesting box before the egg came out. I was a bit worried but figured that maybe it was just a larger egg than usual and she had popped a vessel or something. I didn’t worry much about it until this morning. When I opened the hatch to let them out I noticed this puddle of blood on the tray under their perches and was a bit alarmed. Any ideas what it could be? I have had so many issues with them since I got them about 7 months ago and it’s really stressing me out. They got coccidiois when I first got them, suspected worms 3 weeks ago (have them their second dose of worming treatment about 4 days ago) plus I am also currently treating them for scaly leg mite! I keep the coop really clean and look after them so well I don’t understand why I’m having so many issues :( I gave Matilda’s vent a close examination just before and everything looks normal, no blood on her feathers or anything. Any help is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• 10239FFD-D59A-4E3E-997E-428C47405F41.jpeg
    10239FFD-D59A-4E3E-997E-428C47405F41.jpeg
    926.9 KB · Views: 36
You don't think the blood could have come from a wound somewhere else on the chicken? Since it is not in the same pile as the poop, could it have come from her head hanging down to sleep, like some birds do? (They appear to be dead, with their head hanging down)
You might check the chickens over thoroughly. I would think a bleeding wound from a black or reddish brown chicken might be hard to see. Good luck finding the answer; that is a little scary.

You don't think the blood could have come from a wound somewhere else on the chicken? Since it is not in the same pile as the poop, could it have come from her head hanging down to sleep, like some birds do? (They appear to be dead, with their head hanging down)
You might check the chickens over thoroughly. I would think a bleeding wound from a black or reddish brown chicken might be hard to see. Good luck finding the answer; that is a little scary.
Yes, thst’s A possibility. Combs bleed A LOT even with a tiny injury. Where is she in the pecking order, and are there any peck marks on her comb?

Hmm the bleeding from elsewhere could be a possibility so I just examined all 3 for possible head/face wounds and they seem fine. Matilda is at the top of the pecking order and picks on Disco a lot, there have been a few incidents where she has made her comb bleed but I don’t think that’s the issue here seeing as there is no visible blood or scabs on her head. 2 of the chickens are black and dark grey in colour so yes the blood would be difficult to see. Although not 100% sure I am still convinced the blood is coming from the vent area :/

Oh honey, I do not know! You're right, it doesn't present like standard coccidiosis but I'm not sure what IT is! Any chance your girls caught and ate a mouse or something from the roost?

Short of having the droppings tested by a vet I think just putting down fresh paper and keeping an eye out is a good step forward.

I'm really sorry, how frustrating! :hugs

I just reread and saw the detail about the nesting box. Yikes. Let's tag the experts; they may not be available until morning but they'll have better, experience based input!

@ChickenCanoe @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @aart @DobieLover ,

I'm very sorry I don't have better answers but we'll do our best! Warm fuzzy well wishes to your chickens :hugs

I just reread and saw the detail about the nesting box. Yikes. Let's tag the experts; they may not be available until morning but they'll have better, experience based input!

@ChickenCanoe @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @aart @DobieLover ,

I'm very sorry I don't have better answers but we'll do our best! Warm fuzzy well wishes to your chickens :hugs

Thanks so much for that! I’ve been keeping an eye on them all day and can’t see any more blood present so I’ll just keep an eye on things and see what happens. This is so bizarre. They’re all running around happy as Larry with no signs of being in any pain or discomfort ‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom