Bloody Brahma Foot

Jamiedanielle55

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
I have a 6 month old light Brahma. She’s always had significantly less feathers on her feet than my dark Brahma but I noticed this week that her feet and legs were really bare. This afternoon I noticed blood on her chest feathers from her feet. She is acting normal and running around with the rest of the flock. Her legs also look more scaly than any of my other chickens? Is this something I should be concerned about or any way to care for/prevent from getting worse.
E428B9E3-B2CF-4E45-8E1C-DFE0374A29AA.jpeg
9ECABADC-84F0-49F0-979E-340393EE610D.jpeg
20F90964-1F86-4522-9050-62AE917C1667.jpeg

It appears to be an early infestation of scaly leg mites. They hurt, so she's likely been pecking at her feet because of the pain. Chickens do that.

Soak her legs and feet for twenty minutes in warm Epsom salt water. Dry the legs and spray Vetericyn on them. This will take care of any bacteria that may be working on the legs and feet. Let dry and then goop the legs and feet thoroughly with petroleum jelly or castor oil. Turn her loose back with the flock. Repeat this process in one week.

Check the others for leg mites. It can be contagious. You may want to get some permethrin spray and spray down the roosts with it.

Back
Top Bottom