Bloody Earlobes

wanafarm

Hatching
Sep 7, 2023
I wanted to post these picks to see if anyone knows what is wrong with this pullet's earlobes and plan of action. Both earlobes are bloody and scabby, she is droopy(this is what I noticed first she was standing with her tail down), somewhat unbalanced, a little floppy to one side, and lethargic. I have separated her temporarily until I can get it cleared up so she doesn't get pecked. She is approx. 17 weeks old. I just noticed this yesterday, but I could have missed it for awhile. She is the only one with any issues right now other than I think a worm load of some kind, all others are roaming, eating, drinking, and active. I was thinking ear mites. I was planning on cleaning bloody scabs off, using vegetable oil or mineral oil(?) in ears and then 1% ivermectin (first ever use) as drop on back. Any help/advice appreciated.

Attachments

• Close-up.jpg
    Close-up.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 47
  • Lt side.jpg
    Lt side.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Rt side.jpg
    Rt side.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 7
Pray and try a little Ivermectin her water for a few days. I'd leave the scabs alone, since they will probably fall off on their own. This is not an expert opinion, but the scabs are there for a reason, to protect her skin, until new tissue forms.

How is your hen? It looks like she is being pecked and injured. Can you separate her in a dog crate with food and water, and check her ears for any drainage, ear mites, or infection? Is she being targeted by others or low in pecking order?

So, I think the pecking gave her a concussion for a few days, not sure what caused them to go after her like that, other than what nuthatched guessed. Good advice on the scabs Kbroom, I started to wipe them as first (before your post) and she responded in pain, so I left them. I had her separated in a cage in bunny barn for a few days and she was way better, standing, active, eating, etc. She's with the flock now and I'll keep an eye on her for new injuries, etc. I'm treating the whole flock today and tomorrow w/Ivermectin and spraying the coop with permithethrin just in case there is a mite issue as it's been couple years anyway.

Thanks all!

Beautiful! We chicken mommies have to stick together! Birds of a feather, and all that. :wee :D

Attachments

• IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5014.JPG
    IMG_5014.JPG
    443 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom