Bloody head

13pamela

Chirping
6 Years
May 8, 2016
Newport
Yesterday I found one of my chickens standing at the front of one of the nest boxes. Her head was all bloody from the chicken inside that is broody won’t let her in. Is that normal? I don’t understand since there are a lot of other boxes available. I now have the injured one inside in a crate. Now I have to find out how to heal her poor bloody head. I’m so sad for her! Sorry for the yucky picture but need help!

Attachments

• 6E48FD6D-DB8F-4380-90D3-B64877FDF1B9.jpeg
    6E48FD6D-DB8F-4380-90D3-B64877FDF1B9.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 15
Yesterday I found one of my chickens standing at the front of one of the nest boxes. Her head was all bloody from the chicken inside that is broody won’t let her in. Is that normal? I don’t understand since there are a lot of other boxes available. I now have the injured one inside in a crate. Now I have to find out how to heal her poor bloody head. I’m so sad for her! Sorry for the yucky picture but need help!
The broody hen did that?

My husband washed her head and neck with soap and water then put on a wound spray and antibiotic ointment. The spray is called vetericyn plus wound and skin care.
Okay, that’s good. But next time you wash a wound, don’t use soap. Just keep her away from the other hens, or they may pick on her. :)

Is the injured chicken also broody and tried to get in the nest box for that?
Bcs sometimes two chickens want the same nest box and then...
But yeah, that chicken needs to be kept away from the others or they might see the wound as a tasty snack.
Maybe offer her a nest with a few eggs and see if she is also turning out to be broody

My husband washed her head and neck with soap and water then put on a wound spray and antibiotic ointment. The spray is called vetericyn plus wound and skin care.
I have a broody hen that is doing the exact same thing. My nesting box consists of six sections. We don't have a rooster, so it isn't necessary to keep her broody. I will need to isolate the broody hen for a couple of nights to end her broodiness. She wants to attack anyone who goes into the coop and approaches any of the nesting boxes. Vetericyn is a great product. I had a chicken with a large gash put there by a rooster mounting her. It cleared it up in a couple of days. I was amazed!

Back
Top Bottom