Bloody mess in coop

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
I've been going out every 30 to 60 minutes to check for eggs and/or rotate waterers. Everything was okay an hour ago, now there's big areas of blood all over one of the roosts and a frozen "chunk" of blood pouring down one side of the roost.

Althea, one of the Buckeyes, had blood all over her feet, but on closer inspection, it was one of the other Buckeyes who had clearly had her butt pecked, feathers missing and bloody, open wound. I don't know if being cooped up for so long in the frigid cold is making them all go crazy or what?

I put the wounded hen in a cat carrier inside the big red coop so they couldn't attack her again. And, I sprayed some Vetricyn on her butt. What else can or should I do?

That's what I was guessing was behind it. It's been so wretchedly cold that they won't leave the coop even when the door to the run is open in the daytime. It's the same group of girls who have lived together since they were days old, so I was totally not expecting this.

I'm reluctant to move her indoors because it would be such a shock to her system when she had to return outdoors. It's still below zero here and will be for a few more days. I'm hoping separation and Vetricyn will be enough.

Thanks for responding!

I've been going out every 30 to 60 minutes to check for eggs and/or rotate waterers. Everything was okay an hour ago, now there's big areas of blood all over one of the roosts and a frozen "chunk" of blood pouring down one side of the roost.

Althea, one of the Buckeyes, had blood all over her feet, but on closer inspection, it was one of the other Buckeyes who had clearly had her butt pecked, feathers missing and bloody, open wound. I don't know if being cooped up for so long in the frigid cold is making them all go crazy or what?

I put the wounded hen in a cat carrier inside the big red coop so they couldn't attack her again. And, I sprayed some Vetricyn on her butt. What else can or should I do?
Can you get pictures?

Wish I could. After my initial panic at the amount of blood on the roost and Althea's feet, I got a second look at the wounded girl's butt. I don't think it's a deep wound, so I'm going to give her a little time to settle down and try to spray the area again. She's pretty flighty right now.

That's what I was guessing was behind it. It's been so wretchedly cold that they won't leave the coop even when the door to the run is open in the daytime. It's the same group of girls who have lived together since they were days old, so I was totally not expecting this.

I'm reluctant to move her indoors because it would be such a shock to her system when she had to return outdoors. It's still below zero here and will be for a few more days. I'm hoping separation and Vetricyn will be enough.

Thanks for responding!
Make sure to keep her warm. If she is too cold, it will not help at all.

Wish I could. After my initial panic at the amount of blood on the roost and Althea's feet, I got a second look at the wounded girl's butt. I don't think it's a deep wound, so I'm going to give her a little time to settle down and try to spray the area again. She's pretty flighty right now.
Maybe cover the wound so it doesn't get infected?

Back
Top Bottom