Bloody poop/intestinal lining?

chickencutie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Worth
My 1 year old buff Orpington has been having bloody poop for a few days now. It also appears that there is intestinal lining sometimes. I know they shed lining periodically, but is it normal to be doing this multiple days in a row? I’m going to treat for coccidia just in case, but she’s not showing any other signs of infection. Pics attached for reference.
image.jpg
BD331BC7-6A79-49CB-98EA-A1D63ACE5DBD.jpeg
image.jpg

Do you have a vet that will do a fecal float test for you? Treating for coccidia is safe and I would start that, better safe than sorry. Sometimes other internal parasites can cause droppings like that also. Corid will treat coccidia only, so if it's roundworm or other parasite you will need another medication for that. The worms are usually not seen in the droppings, the fecal looks for the microscopic eggs. If you cannot get a fecal test done, which would be best, then in my flock if I saw that I would worm with either Valbazen or Safeguard.

I have a 1 year old buff Orpington to! Same problem I think it might be an internal infection or ulcers sometimes it's normal she is not pooping blood anymore just watery liquid like image 1. Buff Orpington on profile pic is not her but looks egg-zactly like her. Anyway try giving her milk it helps.

I do currently have Valbazen in my med kit stock. I was going to try corid first and then worm with that if it doesn’t work. My vet is out of town currently so I don’t have that option at the moment.

She’s had issues since day 1 as a chick 😂😭 I got her from the animal shelter, she had been attacked by a dog and had a broken leg. It’s always something with her. Besides the poop, she’s acting normally so I’m hoping it’s not a big deal. Good to know she’s not the only one.

Back
Top Bottom