BLRW joke - now 11 weeks old, is it a boy??! (answer in post #82)

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I posted this in a previous thread but it's getting lost in the rubble, so hopefully this post will get some answers...
fl.gif

This was supposed to be a BLRW chick. It apparently has proper lineage (nicely laced parents) but IMO something went wrong, it looks like a mutt to me.

Anyways.

Thought it was a pullet a month ago but now my hopes are sinking.

He/she is now 10 weeks old and although there is no comb and the wattles are barely there, I see saddle feathers growing in. Face is getting red, hackle feathers look pointy, wing feathers are shiny/irridescent and those legs ain't small.

I'm so discouraged - we're over-run by boys and I can only keep a handful, the rest will have to be re-homed after all this hard work and investment - and who the heck wants a mutt rooster anyways?.
barnie.gif

I took some pics today and would love confirmation that Scarlet is, indeed, a boy
sad.png

DSC_0026-7.jpg

DSC_0015-9.jpg

DSC_0008-11.jpg

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0001-4.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0030-4.jpg

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:
Yeah, it kinda looks like you got something other than a BLRW, sorry. I am not supre good at sexing, but the comb and wattles hardly look roo-ish to me. I only say that because my chicks at 10 weeks old (various breeds) have much redder and larger combs and wattles at 10 weeks. I think you still have hope for a pullet, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

I don't know of this is true of BLRW, but I know SLWs look MUCH better the older they get-- the lacing is often really messy until after the first molt, and is prettiest after the 1-year mark... so she may end up looking prettier. It does look like a pullet to me too-- but I'm a chicken newbie.

I'd say girl, especially if she is part wyandotte. Those boys have much bigger and redder combs at 10 weeks.

So am I imagining those shiny, orange, pointy hackle feathers starting to grow in the middle of her back?

What about the pointy neck feathers and the red face around the eyes?

I shouldn't worry about those since the rest of her seems to be pullet?

*so confused*

PS: I did report this to the breeder, who was very perplexed since her breeding pen for BLRW is strictly controlled and she has beautiful birds. I bought 7 chicks from her, out of the surviving 6 there is this "off the mark" one that she cannot explain and is very apologetic about. My guess is a throwback gene popped up, perhaps her birds are not all pure...
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom