BLRW joke - now 11 weeks old, is it a boy??! (answer in post #82)

Quote:
Sorry that is not a EE...

The Comb looks like a Rose Comb. it's smooth but a Rose Comb

I also believe it is a rooster. Pointy hackles coming in and darker red in the wing bow and in the back....

Chris

At 10 weeks old, a cockerel would likely be getting red in the comb and wattles. I'm gonna give you a pullet vote!!!
big_smile.png

She's a hen for me without a doubt, her face just screams hen, I know most people don't go by the face when determining gender but hens do seem to have a softer gentler expression as for the feathers the photos show no evidence of any hackle or saddle feathers, any bright shiny new feathers coming in are just the new feathers that she is producing from her transition from chick to adult these will be brighter and shinier, her stance in the photos is also very hen like.

It's an undeveloped rose comb. Wy's have rosecombs. Here's what I think and why I think what I do... I have a gorgeous and correctly marked BLRW cock. Last year, I had him with a columbian Wy hen for company. They produced chicks that looked a lot like your boy. Except mine had less red and more blue. Hackles were blue, tail was blue, body was red. So basically the blue showed up where the columbian markings would be, and the white body color was replaced with red. He may likely be a cross bred bird from exactly the same cross as I mentioned happened here. Both mine were pullets so their color will vary slightly to the darker cock colors.

OP here...

I gave Scarlet a good looking-over yesterday and you're right about the rose comb starting to develop, it's very slight but it's there and it's quite a dark pink!

Tiny wattles though.

I parted the back feathers and I am 95% sure those are saddle feathers growing in, they are shiny orange, long and thin - not rounded and not encased in a "straw" like a normal feather growth.

I'm about to cry
hit.gif

This is a pic from the breeder who sells Cinnamon Queens. Not like the hatchery variety. If you think he is mis-naming them, contact him and correct him. I'll give you his address.
RIR over a SLW
Very pretty birds.

What ever you pullet is, I think she is very pretty.

26477_cq2.jpg

Last edited:
Can you re-post new pics of the perceived saddle feathers? I don't see them... She still looks like a girlie to me.
smile.png

Reading back through your first post and looking at the pics again, I see what you meant about the pointy neck feathers... my Wyandotte pullets have those too, and they were confusing me for a while... I think that breed just naturally has pointier neck feathers...

One of my girls....
IMG_0597.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom