Blue and Lavender colors: the rooster vs. the hen

Yellow Snow

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
I've read up on predicted genetic outcomes when breeding BBS and Lavender colors. But I'd like to know if it matters which color the rooster is versus the hen? For instance, when crossing Blue (Bb) and Black (bb), 50% of offspring will be Blue and 50% Black, no matter whether the rooster was the black bird or the blue bird, right? Would there be any reason to desire the rooster be one color or the other?

It would only matter if you were introducing the rooster into a purely black flock. If the rooster is black and he is introduced to a black flock, they will only have black offspring. So the desired color for the rooster would be blue if he were being introduced to a black flock and you wished to maintain blue offspring. My understanding is that unlike black and lavender, when using black and blue, black does not carry the blue recessive gene. I hope this helps.

Quote:
I believe I know what you are asking and no it does not matter. BBS and Lav are not sex-linked colors. An example of a sex-linked color would be cuckoo. The color of the Roo Vs. Hen in cuckoo to non cuckoo breeding makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom