Blue Andalusian with blue ear lobes? (Pictures!)

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I recently got a blue Andalusian pullet chick from a local breeder who breeds healthy, beautiful birds of several different kinds. She's a funny bird--beautiful and intelligent and spunky. She's just for eggs and a pet, not for breeding or showing. I noticed yesterday that she has sparkly blue ear lobes! On Feathersite it looks like they have white ear lobes. Can they also have blue? Or does it mean she's not an Andalusian or not pure bred? The only other chickens I can think of with blue ear lobes like that are Silkies, but she doesn't have any Silky traits at all. She has solid blue legs, blue feathering all over, a tiny single comb that is yellow with black/dark blue at the tip and closer to the beak, four toes, and a slim body.

So what's up with the blue ear lobes? Just curious.
big_smile.png

540646771_pAsdS-M.jpg

I had to get my 2 year old to hold her, which means that the picture is horrible.
tongue.png
If you look closely you can see the shining blue ear lobe peeking out. It's difficult to tell in the picture, but there is no white at all. It's completely blue. It shimmers almost purple looking!

Here's her full body so you can see her legs and tail. She *looks* like an Andalusian to me, and the breeder sells quality chickens, so I don't think she would get the breed wrong...

540645841_7FTQX-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have a bird that I think is a black Andalusian, and her earlobes are dark, kind of blue. I know my mom has blue and splash andalusians, I'll have to ask her what color their earlobes are.

I have some that I am positive are black minorcas, and they have bright white earlobes. It's very easy to pick out the Andalusian from the bunch of pretty black girls out there.

Oh, and mine are from McMurray, as are my Mom's...

She looks like a young bird and I would give her some time to develop some more. Its not all that usual for them to have a little blue tint in their earlobes. My SSHB has a little blue in her white earlobes but neverthanless, she has laying abilities.

Its only because she is young. She will grow out of it. My Dutch bantmas have white earlobes too and until they are about a year old, they are blue as well - so quite normal.

Oh ok! I didn't know they could grow out of it. I guess I will just enjoy her shiny ear lobes while they last.
big_smile.png
She is really young. I forgot how old she was when I got her, but she has only been fully feathered out for about a month now.

Back
Top Bottom