The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I have three salmon Faverolle hens & three Blue Cochin hens. Three Sussex hens as well ,
but I have the opportunity to get a Blue Cochin rooster...
Would it hurt the Faverolles if it mated one?
Should I get one? Please... I really want to know because, I really want a Blue Cochin rooster but I don't want the Faverolle hens getting hurt!

-TAH

You can have rooster with the hens, but they might be missing a few back feathers from him standing on their back to mate. He also holds onto their neck feathers so they might be missing some there too. The only real problem is if he has sharp spurs, they can catch in the hen's side and rip gashes in their sides. I have had three hens with gashes. You just seperate them in a run inside the pen with the other hens. They have all been fine. You can put vetericyn in the cut to promote healing. You just trim down the spur and wrap it in duct tape. Be careful not to trim off a lot, or else it may bleed. If it does, pack conrstarch in the spur and watch him until the bleeding stops. A rooster would also help break up fights between the hens and protect them. I love blue cochins too. They are so pretty. Hope you get one and are happy with him!

Last edited:
Thank you very much!
You are very helpful!
I will have to see but I think I'll get a Blue Cochin rooster...
I even think the spur thing could help with my other roosters!
Thanks again, have a great day!
-TAH

Well I have three different flocks,
1 rooster in the oldest flock,
1 rooster in the youngest flock,
I have 25 chickens in all
but the nine hens don't have a rooster yet in the almost a year old flock.

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom