Blue Egg EE x Buff Orp Roo = Green Egg Layer?

TexasTay

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
Magnolia, TX
I've got a brown Easter Egger from Hoover's Hatchery that lays blue eggs. My only roo is a Buff Orp. EE's eggs are fertile and I'm getting ready to start an incubator batch this week. I'd like to put some of her eggs in with the purebred BO eggs to get little easter egger chicks with a chance of laying green eggs. (EE's blue eggs are shown in the photo.)

I need some genetics help. If she is a blue egg layer and I'm crossing her with the brown egg layer BO roo, I'm guessing there is 75% chance for green eggs and 25% chance for brown egg laying in her offspring because I don't know what her true genetic background is. Is this correct? Or is blue x brown always 100% green?

And if I crossed my current green egg laying EE with the BO roo, what are the chances of producing another green egg layer? (I was thinking 50/50.)

Thank you for your help! This is my first incubation batch!

Attachments

• blueeggs.jpg
    blueeggs.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 6
If your Easter Egger hen is homozygous for the blue egg gene then when crossed to a brown egg laying breed the offspring will lay shades of green. If the Easter Egger doesn’t carry 2 blue egg genes then it will be a 50-50 split for blue/green and brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom