Blue girl is "off" this morning

Tashnarae

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2016
South Central PA
My blue girl (ameraucana) is "off" this morning... she's always been the smallest of the pullets I got this year, (unfortunately none are laying yet but that's a whole other grumble)... she's also lowest in the pecking order for the girls, I'm thinking they're actually running her off the feed... when I went out to do their water and let them out for the day she was "hiding" in a nesting boxes, I didn't think much of it, they've all been "trying them out"... but when I opened the pop door everyone else came scrambling out as usual, she didn't come out for a couple minutes, until Calvin (rooster) stood there calling for her... when she did come out, she tried to jump up on their favorite hangout spot (pile of logs for firewood) and she missed and couldn't get up there... so I went and picked her up which is normally next to impossible once they're out for the day... she's a little dirty/ muddy, but her vent is clean... my biggest concern is that her crop was empty, which at 9:30 in the morning she should have at least eaten something from the feeders (I have two pvc pipe feeders and two gallon size waterers first 10 birds)... I put her in the back room of the coop and tried to see if she'd eat, and she gobbled down a good portion of mash, a tiny bit of cracked corn, and a few mealworms.... she also drank some water, but is still sitting there hunched up like she's cold or doesn't feel well... was thinking to just keep her separate for the day with lots of goodies options and put her back on the roost tonight... I'm really concerned with how skinny she feels, along with seeming to not have eaten breakfast ... but she seemed to be plenty hungry ???

My blue girl (ameraucana) is "off" this morning... she's always been the smallest of the pullets I got this year, (unfortunately none are laying yet but that's a whole other grumble)... she's also lowest in the pecking order for the girls, I'm thinking they're actually running her off the feed... when I went out to do their water and let them out for the day she was "hiding" in a nesting boxes, I didn't think much of it, they've all been "trying them out"... but when I opened the pop door everyone else came scrambling out as usual, she didn't come out for a couple minutes, until Calvin (rooster) stood there calling for her... when she did come out, she tried to jump up on their favorite hangout spot (pile of logs for firewood) and she missed and couldn't get up there... so I went and picked her up which is normally next to impossible once they're out for the day... she's a little dirty/ muddy, but her vent is clean... my biggest concern is that her crop was empty, which at 9:30 in the morning she should have at least eaten something from the feeders (I have two pvc pipe feeders and two gallon size waterers first 10 birds)... I put her in the back room of the coop and tried to see if she'd eat, and she gobbled down a good portion of mash, a tiny bit of cracked corn, and a few mealworms.... she also drank some water, but is still sitting there hunched up like she's cold or doesn't feel well... was thinking to just keep her separate for the day with lots of goodies options and put her back on the roost tonight... I'm really concerned with how skinny she feels, along with seeming to not have eaten breakfast ... but she seemed to be plenty hungry ???

Hi. Sorry i dont know whats wrong! Hopefully someone like @CTKen or @Wyorp Rock will come along soon and be able to help you out!

I'm certainly no expert, but it may be that she does indeed have some kind of illness. That kinda hunched up behaviour, I have read, is a sign of running a temperature (among others). A flock will try to run a sick chicken out, so attacks and deprivation of food are symptoms of this.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that this is indeed the case. Putting out multiple feed stations may help but it is a good idea to return her to the coop to sleep (as you mentioned), as removing her will only accentuate her pariah status within the flock.

When my lowest ranking pullet was about to lay, she seemed to be chased off food and get a few good pecks on one particular day - a lot more than was normal (I have their feeding stations near my veranda, so i can keep an eye on them, literally all day). It caused me a little concern, and then the next day she laid her first egg. I can only assume that her hormonal status caused some slight behaviour change that the rest of the flock discerned. Anyway, things went back to normal the same day she laid.

Hopefully the experts will chime in and be a little more definitive

Good luck

Thanks... I checked on her a few times yesterday, she's eating and drinking, but still hunching up, also had some green poo with runny yellow liquid... everything I've been able to find seems to indicate that green poo is a sign of starvation....she pooped a lot of green over night (way more than all day yesterday but mostly solid with the accompanying liquid) I tried to put her out in the coop when I locked up for the evening, but she was immediately jumped by two roosters...I shoved them off and scooted her back into the side room for the night... so, I think the boys are headed to freezer camp sooner rather than later, was hoping to get some more size out of them first... but it's not worth losing a hen... gave her some warm mash with meal worms mixed in this morning and she went to town on it... we'll see how she feels this evening... hopefully tomorrow I can figure out how to set up another space for the roosters so she can go back with the rest....

Thanks... I checked on her a few times yesterday, she's eating and drinking, but still hunching up, also had some green poo with runny yellow liquid... everything I've been able to find seems to indicate that green poo is a sign of starvation....she pooped a lot of green over night (way more than all day yesterday but mostly solid with the accompanying liquid) I tried to put her out in the coop when I locked up for the evening, but she was immediately jumped by two roosters...I shoved them off and scooted her back into the side room for the night... so, I think the boys are headed to freezer camp sooner rather than later, was hoping to get some more size out of them first... but it's not worth losing a hen... gave her some warm mash with meal worms mixed in this morning and she went to town on it... we'll see how she feels this evening... hopefully tomorrow I can figure out how to set up another space for the roosters so she can go back with the rest....

Its rather strange for roosters to attack a hen - it could well be that they sense some kind of illness.

Oh... and I don't know that she was running a fever... when I picked her up the first time she actually felt kind of cold... which as skinny as she feels right now she's probably used up most of her fat reserves

Oh... and I don't know that she was running a fever... when I picked her up the first time she actually felt kind of cold... which as skinny as she feels right now she's probably used up most of her fat reserves

Lets hope the experts can help out
Best of luck

Unfortunately I ended up with 5 cockerels... so they're in teenage jackass mode right now... the bigger girls just ignore them or run away.. and I've seen them get between her and the boys...

Unfortunately I ended up with 5 cockerels... so they're in teenage jackass mode right now... the bigger girls just ignore them or run away.. and I've seen them get between her and the boys...

I understand - they can be a real pain at that age (and older) - a bit like humans
tongue.png

This evenings check she's still hunched up, but poop is more normal colored... still has a watery mess with it, but not nearly so green... she has a full crop for the night, and seemed more normally sleepy vs lethargic... even talked to me a bit when I went in... still crossing my fingers... but I think she'll be ok with a little more tlc... the extra boys have an appointment.....

Back
Top Bottom