Blue laced Red Wyandotte chicks - what sex?

daesee

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 8, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm pretty sure they are way too young to tell, but am hoping at least one of my 10 day old blrw chicks ends up a pullet. Any expert opinions welcomed...

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

I got three blrw pullets from a local breeder last year, they were all 3-4 months old (12-16 weeks), and the breeder thought they were all pullets. It wasn't until about 12 weeks later that we finally found out that one of them was actually a roo. And it wasn't just the breeder. I had a local 4-h lady check them for issues and she never once mentioned him being a roo. So in my experience (and it's not much experience actually!) the blrw roos can take longer to really know the difference.

Ok, my chicks are now about six weeks old, and the sex is starting to be more apparent. Any one have any educated guesses now...

Chick1 - pretty sure it's a boy, red comb and wattles, dominant, but the prettiest and friendliest of the bunch. (Note - they are pets so type and color is really irrelevant to me. Although, if a male, better type and color/lacing might mean I could find a good home for him rather than have a chicken dinner!)

Chick 2 on right - won't hold still. (Chick 3 on left )

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 3

Chick 3

I hope to get better pictures of the last two in a few days...

Back
Top Bottom