Blue Laced Red Wyandotte..My very favorite! Is she a he? Sniff...

TheSheriffswife

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Baldwinsville NY
This is my most lovable chick I hatched..the only one that jumps up on my arm/hand..lets me pick her? up snuggles..I can hold her, she will sit on my lap forever..I can't be in the coop more than a min. before she is all over me..So I guess I want to find out the inevitable if anyone has an opinion or knowledge on this breed as far as sexing..She is 6 weeks old and again very affectionate..I hatched 3 all together..they all appear similar, all seemed to have the flat pinkish redder combs earlier on? I ask because i don't think I can keep any boys..
sad.png
Thanks! Also, Is this what you call a 'splash' coloring? or is it too early to tell how the markings will be?

76733_img_3557.jpg

76733_img_3555.jpg

76733_img_3556.jpg

76733_img_3554.jpg

They don't always get those shiny, skinny saddle feathers this early, though. I'm saying male. I have three BLRWs myself that need sexing, but mine are a couple weeks younger than yours. I have one who is just as friendly, too.

I hope I'm wrong and it's a pullet.

sad.png
Sorry , but that's a BLR Roo. See the darker, solid colored feathers coming in...that's just the beginning, soon after the saddles will sprout out. Some of our friendliest birds are roosters too-we had to give ours away also(almost identical to yours).

Quote:
Ugh! Shucks! I kept looking at the redder comb and suspecting..but then with all the lovey dovey stuff
tongue.png
I wasn't so sure..but if you have em' you certainly know.. do have 2 more, I don't think the heads are as dark..Hmmm maybe I can just sneak him by..hubby may not notice
lol.png

Such a pretty chicken-whether male or female. I wonder if you will rethink keeping a rooster. If you can't, you should be able to find a nice home for the chicken on BYC forum. I had to look up BLR and I saw some beautiful pics of the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte adult plumage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom