Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, where to order from?

I got three BLRW straight run from McMurray almost three years ago and all turned out to be pullets.Two are splash and one is a meduim to dark blue and her lacing is pretty good for a hatchery bird.I plan on getting some egg's from Katy at some point to hatch but I just happen to run across TSC last spring and they had a tub full of chicks and low and behold they had some BLRW in there and nobody knew what they were so I picked out all five and 3 turned out to be pullets and I rehomed the two cockerals.They are nice birds but they are all light splash colored and their lacing is not great.Not sure which hatchery they came from since they have ordered from several different one's.

Welp Hatchery's Blue Laced red Wyandotte chickens are very good, actually, 20 of the 35 Hens i ordered showed very well in both California and Oregon, also, I only got 2 Roosters out of the order (both showed Resrve and Grand Champion at the fairs). When I ordered 35 hens(got 5 roosters) from Murray Mcmurray(I needed some fresh lines to cross my Welp Hatchery birds to) I had 4 people besides me show 5 chickens a piece, none of the 25 birds I had showen even placed, therefore I am breeding strictly Welp Hatchery Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. This is just my personal experience with two hatchery's stock. Also, the Murray McMurray birds costed like I believe $5 a piece more than the Welp Hatchery birds.

Quote:
I was told that Sand Hill Preservation is one of the best hatcheries, someone told me they actually breed true to the breed. For instance if you got Marans, they would be actually dark laying and not light color layers like the ones I got fom McMurray, who I had always gotten stock from for all of my chickens...doesn anyone know about Sand Hill???

I have a feeling that the TSC chicks I got last year were from Welp.Especially since I found some blue wyandotte in the same tub and McMurray doesn't have Blue Wyandotte's.Anyway I have been very pleased with the 3 Blue Wyandotte's I ahve even though they are hatchery birds.I know it was probably luck but they are much more typy than the one hen that I hatched from breeder egg's.

Katy, the shows I have shown my birds at were separated by comb type, feather legged or not, and LF or bantam. Also, I won grand champion because my birds were said to be the best looking birds at the show.

Question: When is a chicken show not a chicken show?

Answer: When it is not judged by any formal standards, not sanctioned by any organization & someone with no poultry knowledge gives an award to the "best looking bird".

Quote:
Since it isn't a APA sanctioned bird than what difference does it make if it is an APA sanctioned show. There are alot of people on this forum who just have backyard chickens. We don't love them any less than the purebreds. We appreciate everyones love of the chickens and the pride they have in their birds.

I wasn't at the show but to say that her bird

Nyreds Reply: "Wasn't judged by any formal standards, not sanctioned by any organization & someone with no poultry knowledge gives an award to "the best looking bird"".

That may have been an attempt at a joke but it was mean and uncalled for. Most days I love this forum and mostly everyone is so nice but there are a few that find it is much easier to not think about their post as you type your reply under a username and you aren't face to face with a person.

When I read posts like that I want to find another forum that welcomes the backyard flock owners that only have a small flock and we aren't breeders but still respect the beauty of all chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom