Blue Seal or Purina?

lm84

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
New Jersey
We have a surprise rooster in the flock now, so I'm going to be feeding a multi flock with the oyster shell for the hens. The multi flock is so much more than the layer feed! At my local Tractor Supply I have the option of Blue Seal Multi flock for $22.49 or Purina multi flock for $17.49. We have always fed Blue Seal because the general consensus was that it was a better quality. The price difference is tempting though. Is the quality difference worth price difference? Is there a cheaper option than multiflock when you have a rooster? I've tried local mills but no one has a multiflock, it's all layer mash, and the mash doesn't even work well in our feeders anyway.

The Blue Seal is 22% protein and the Purina is 20%. Have you looked for a local Blue Seal dealer? I get the multiflock from them for $16.

Last edited:
I would always vote for Blue Seal feeds if you are interested in quality ingredients and consistency of formulation. I have always had excellent luck contacting Blue Seal via e-mail- you might ask them where you can get it in your area or post in your state's area on this forum and see if any one can help you find it or share shipping on it.

How is a company's corn or soybean meal any better than any other company's corn or SBM ?It is all outsourced from various local mills depending on availability.

Last edited:
How is a company's corn or soybean meal any better than any other company's corn or SBM ?It is all outsourced from various local mills depending on availability.

I think it's more about amount of protein and healthy additives versus fillers and possible preservatives or unnecessary ingredients. You try to pick the lesser of two evils.

Ok, so instead of answering my question with another question, you could have started off by saying that. Thats what I assumed, but I was looking for opinions and comments, better company to support, more consistent quality of foods, better ingredients, anything to rationalize buying the more expensive one over the other, or not.

It's not as easy to find feed mills in my area as I thought it would be. Every mill I've contacted only sells layer mash. If it were up to me I'd be supporting local mills and farms.

Back
Top Bottom