Blue Star/Sapphire gems/ differences

Bellaterraonline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Big island, Hawaii
Aside from differences in genetic line origins, what are the main differences in characteristics between sapphire gems and blue star chickens? How about blue Australorpes or lavender Orpingtons?

Pros/cons between heritage breeds and sex links?

We have dual purpose birds in a Year round warm/comfortable climate, free range homestead.

Last edited:
Stars and gems will never breed true and can be sexed at hatch. Australorp and Orpingtons will breed true if paired together correctly, and cannot be sexed at hatch.

Also blue and lavender are two different genes. A bird can be one, none or both
Thanks for feedback and clarification. As far as personality, laying, foraging, etc characteristics, wondering which ones would be best fit for us. I was originally thinking lavender Orpington, but was recommended sapphire gems and am drawn to the blue stars. We have gold star/isa brown and black Australorpes currently. Wanting to add one more breed in this category.

Thanks for feedback and clarification. As far as personality, laying, foraging, etc characteristics, wondering which ones would be best fit for us. I was originally thinking lavender Orpington, but was recommended sapphire gems and am drawn to the blue stars. We have gold star/isa brown and black Australorpes currently. Wanting to add one more breed in this category.
I don't have any of the 4.

Lavender mixed with black just makes black. Blue mixed with black makes blue and black

Back
Top Bottom