We had the only ones there in Dominique and Cochin's
Darrin
BB-RB-BV-RV- Champion and Reserve champion feather leg -3rd best bird in show
on his Bantam Cochin's-JR
BB-RB- Sumatra's only one there Champion large fowl -JR
Suzanne Call Ducks
2nd- white Young Duck -RV
2nd -White Young Drake
1st -Grey Young Duck BV-BB---Reserve- Champion Bantam Duck -Reserve Champion Water fowl
1st-Grey Young Drake -RV
East Indies
1st- young Duck -RV
2nd- Young Drake

Last edited:
Quote:
Question: When you say 1st or 2nd what does that means, I didn't see any First Place or 2nd Place ribbon given or on the cage. Was there a show result posted any where?

Each variety is broken down into sexes: cock, cockerel, hen and pullet, or in waterfowl: old drake, young drake, young hen, old hen(not a waterfowl man, someone may have to correct me). 1st,2nd,3rd,etc... is given in each sex of a variety. Most poultry shows, with the exception of fairs, don't give ribbons for sex placings. The placing is usually written on the cage card. After variety comes breed, then class. For example, one of my Buff Brahma bantams might get 1st place pullet, Best of Variety and champion feather leg, that would place her on Champions row where she would be considered for Champion Bantam. If she won that she would be considerd for over-all show champion, sometimes called Super Grand Champion.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Tim63 for enlighten me on this subject, so if I fund a number (1) on my tag, does that mean this bird got 1st place? I had some with BV and both BV & BB writen on it, then some with nothing and some with just a number such as 1, 2, 3.
I would think BV with BB is a bigger win than numbered 1 or 2, am I not right? Again, I am very confussed with all this, and need some help.
idunno.gif

As in some show such as county fair, they will place a ribbon, or bird goes to center stag then I know what I got.
With Bluebonnet, only the big boys gets the cheese, the rest left me ponder....

Last edited:
Quote:
1st means 1st in that sex
then BV means Best in that color or , Best of Variety
RV means reserve in that color or , Reserve of that Variety
BB means Best of that Breed- such as Old English, Cochin's , ect hope that helps
and yes BV- RV - BB- is better that 1st But most of the time you need the 1st to get the rest

Quote:
Fwolrus
Tim explained it fairly well about the placings. Just remember that all placings are relitive to the competetion. If you win Best of Breed and have the only ones there then it is not as great a win as if you had 1st place pullet and there were 20 birds there by 3 other exhibitors.

As far as the awards go, the Fairs give out a lot more ribbons and trophys because they have a lot more money. All the ribbons and awards cost money and most people don't care for them anyway.
When the fairs hang all those ribbons on the cages it looks good to all the 1000's of people passing thru who paid money to get in.

For most of us that show it is more about being with our friends and like minded people than it is about the awards we take home. If we win big then it is nice to have a memento to take home.

Bob

And aways remember One show is only one Judge opinion The next Judge at a different show may see the birds a lot different, What i trying to say a bird at one show may place 1st with that judge But at a different show it may place 3rd with a different judge , Like Bob said it is more about seeing the People we only get to see at the shows and catch up on things and visit In my case it was my Cousin that came up that i had not seen in 4 years , As the show was half way for both of us and i was going to be there anyway

I agree!
We so enjoyed getting to meet so many folks that share the same love/interest as we do!
It is a wonderful opportunity to get to meet other breeders, get tips from them and enjoy gawking at all of the beautiful birds.
I have to admit though, this was our first show and it was VERY nerve-wracking(but so much fun)!

Quote:
That is what I tell everyone- the most important thing is to have fun because that is what it is all about.
There are those who hinge everything on winning and winning big, but if they don't win then the show is ruined for them.
I go with no expectations so that when I loose I can deal with it.

Having said all that, I give it my best shot at winning almost everytime and anyone who says that they don't care about winning is not telling the truth. You just don't let it rule your lives.

blackred,
Well said , I take my Dominique all the time out of all the shows i have ever been at ,i have won Best American once, Just can't seem to be able to beat them RIR But i keep trying at ever show and will keep doing so, It is like that truck driving song my dream is to pass a Greyhound Bus , well mine is to beat them RIR's

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom