1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Robert Blosl, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieVoda

CharlieVoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Mankato, Mn
    I used to raise Barred Hollands from Duane and they should be very nice birds for your foundation stock. They should be close to the standard I saw his breeding stock about 3 months ago and they are nice quality.

I had them for about 5 years, usually raised about 60 a year. You will do good by line breeding them, double mating is not necessary. I would consider and recommend them to any one interested in a nice heritage breed. They are great birds, mine were happy and healthy. Males did run about 4 to 1 at hatch. You can sex them at day old as the males are lighter in color by about 2 shades like a Dominque.
    There are good pics here the little guy in the center at the bottom is a cockerel.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Holland/BRKHolland.html

They were probably one of the nicer breeds for overall temperament, vigor, personality and hardiness I have had in the last 20 years.
    We have been having a very old fashioned winter here in tropical MN. I think it is the year of Heritage Winter. Last Sat. we got another 20" of snow followed by 20 to 40 below windchill for three days. Once the temps get back to 20 or 30 above I am planning to get over to see Duane and take some pics for the thread here. Oh boy 7 more inches of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

Good Luck with the Hollands.
    Charlie

Christmas is coming and so is Santa Bob.
    He has been watching you.

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    We have started another Heritage breed thread!

The Official Heritage Exhibition Turkey Thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5295643#p5295643

The Official Heritage Exhibition Turkey Thread thread is a place for BYC folks to ask questions and get answers about Heritage and Exhibition Turkeys. At the 2010 American Poultry Association National Poultry Show in Shawnee, Oklahoma, there were over 4500 birds shown. Of those 4500 birds, less than 60 were Turkeys. Benjiman Franklin wanted the Turkey to be the National Bird. The Turkey is a majestic and friendly bird that anyone can raise and own. They forage well and take up very little room. Though many "experts" recommend that Turkeys be raised seperate from chickens, many backyard flocks raise Turkeys alongside their flocks of chickens, bantams, ducks and geese.

The Heritage breeds of Turkeys are in need of conservation and preservation. The Turkey is our only species of backyard poultry that is Native to North America. Please add a few Turkey poults to your spring chick orders and assist us in preserving the Heritage Exhibition Turkey!

3. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    http://books.google.com/books?id=ssRJAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA7-PA11&dq=American+Poultry+Association+standard+bred+certificate+plan&hl=en&ei=O0UKTdSLDYyt8Aa79aCfAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Want
    to see what the old boys had to deal with in the 1905 time period. Judging the old point system vs compairson judging like we do today. Look at the 96 point White Wyandotte female. To me she would be lucky to score 90 today.

Use this google web site and type in the breed or interest you may have. It is loaded with information these days. bob

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
  5. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Quote:You may already know this, but in case you don't; remember that the barring is not like a barred rock, but instead it is very similiar to a dominique. So really the thing that needs worked on in the color is the actual color of the individual bars. Just short of positive black and white. A note on eggs, make sure you select for egg size as well as color.

David

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:You may already know this, but in case you don't; remember that the barring is not like a barred rock, but instead it is very similiar to a dominique. So really the thing that needs worked on in the color is the actual color of the individual bars. Just short of positive black and white. A note on eggs, make sure you select for egg size as well as color.

David

I only assumed since they were bred from barred rocks that they would have barred rock barring. I am still looking for pictures of early barred hollands. Where does the dominique-type barring come from? I have read that the North Holland Blue was cuckoo, but the barred hollands were barred. To me the north Holland blues that I find look like dominique-type barring, more clear than cuckoo, but v-shaped instead of straight.​

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. CharlieVoda

CharlieVoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Mankato, Mn
    The Hollands have basically the same color description as the Dominique. The Dominique color is believed to have come from hawk colored or gray fowl that were in existence in New England before there was a standard for fowl. The barring should be present throughout the entire bird. There should be shades of black and white no other colors. The barring will cross the feathers be coarse and irregular while varying in shades of light to dark. A good Holland will look somewhat like a cross between a RIR and a Plymouth Rock. They will be the same size with a flat back and a bit more angle and height to the tail.

Here is a link to a good pic imo.
    http://www.articleroad.com/pets-and...?Find=Free information about Holland Chickens

It will be hard to find old pics due to the recent development of the breed about 1934. Most books with pics are still under copyright protection and can not be copied legally to the web yet.

Hope this helps
    Good luck with the Hollands
    Charlie

8. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA

David

I only assumed since they were bred from barred rocks that they would have barred rock barring. I am still looking for pictures of early barred hollands. Where does the dominique-type barring come from? I have read that the North Holland Blue was cuckoo, but the barred hollands were barred. To me the north Holland blues that I find look like dominique-type barring, more clear than cuckoo, but v-shaped instead of straight.

Commercial strains of barred rocks have the barring you want. Instead of nice fine, straight barring, the barring is a V in shape. Barring is a very strong gene, so I don't see the color as a problem for you.

Walt

9. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
  10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    couple pics from the other day... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    punky

Thread Status: