Bobcat attack, please help!

Ok so I have another problem. One of my other hens was bleeding quite bad on her comb, and she is very unresponsive. I noticed her a few hours after the attack unfortunately. I got her bleeding to stop with some flour and washcloths, and I am about to clean the wound with a solution recipe I found on the web (1gallon water, 1T bleach and 1t baking soda) is she in shock? She is just laying down not moving. She will click softly if I pet her, but that is about it. I am offering her sugar water and I have her in a dark warm box. Anything else I can do? Will she be ok?

Ok so I have another problem. One of my other hens was bleeding quite bad on her comb, and she is very unresponsive. I noticed her a few hours after the attack unfortunately. I got her bleeding to stop with some flour and washcloths, and I am about to clean the wound with a solution recipe I found on the web (1gallon water, 1T bleach and 1t baking soda) is she in shock? She is just laying down not moving. She will click softly if I pet her, but that is about it. I am offering her sugar water and I have her in a dark warm box. Anything else I can do? Will she be ok?
Check her over for wounds,. Put your ear to her lungs (they're on top her back) check her belly for bruising. After treating her bleeding can you wrap her in a towel and hold her? Keep offering the sugar water, maybe a raw egg yolk as well. Can you post pics?

@SmiYa0126 has stressed treating for shock since it's the most important issue after a predator attack, even if there are no apparent injuries. Shock can last more than a day after the attack so continue the sugar water and electrolytes.

Did you know that spider webbing can stop bleeding? Native Americans kept it in their first aid kits. I bet most coops have ample supply.

Bobcats are one of the more cunning and persistent predators. They will swoop in and take a chicken standing right at your feet, and they will come back again and again until they are discouraged. I've also lost chickens to bobcats.

They can climb high fences, so electric hot wire is necessary if you have a high population of them. I bait the hot wire with a fish wrapped in a wire "burrito" wired to the hot wire. Over time the fish dries out, but it is no less effective to encourage a predator to engage with the hot wire.

@SmiYa0126 has stressed treating for shock since it's the most important issue after a predator attack, even if there are no apparent injuries. Shock can last more than a day after the attack so continue the sugar water and electrolytes.

Did you know that spider webbing can stop bleeding? Native Americans kept it in their first aid kits. I bet most coops have ample supply.

Bobcats are one of the more cunning and persistent predators. They will swoop in and take a chicken standing right at your feet, and they will come back again and again until they are discouraged. I've also lost chickens to bobcats.

They can climb high fences, so electric hot wire is necessary if you have a high population of them. I bait the hot wire with a fish wrapped in a wire "burrito" wired to the hot wire. Over time the fish dries out, but it is no less effective to encourage a predator to engage with the hot wire.
Thank you so much for the help! I will definitely do that.

Check her over for wounds,. Put your ear to her lungs (they're on top her back) check her belly for bruising. After treating her bleeding can you wrap her in a towel and hold her? Keep offering the sugar water, maybe a raw egg yolk as well. Can you post pics?
There were no other wounds than her comb. I got that to stop bleeded and flushed it with the bleach solution. She *may* have gotten a drop on her beak. Is this a concern? Could it be fatal if she were to ingest such a small amount? Her breathing is normal and she seems a bit perkier. Thank you so so much for your help. I am beyond grateful!
8AEA7EF2-B98C-4497-B528-1A5E470BADFC.jpeg
F564AAF1-D9E9-49F4-A724-A2E2D861AC93.jpeg
B4C3B2B4-CCE5-4A43-87A9-FE3FF566781A.jpeg

There were no other wounds than her comb. I got that to stop bleeded and flushed it with the bleach solution. She *may* have gotten a drop on her beak. Is this a concern? Could it be fatal if she were to ingest such a small amount? Her breathing is normal and she seems a bit perkier. Thank you so so much for your help. I am beyond grateful! View attachment 3297027View attachment 3297028View attachment 3297032
No, she should be fine. Keep offering the sweetened water and cuddle her if it doesn't stress her out. It helps to hold them if it's dark in the room.

Back
Top Bottom