BOBCAT HELP PLEASE! It's getting my ducks, chickens, and house cats!

Is there any way at all that you can keep absolutely everybody in lockdown for now (I know your remaining cats are being kept in)? The loss toll is just dreadful as it is....
hit.gif

So sorry this is happening. Bobcats are beautiful but this killing spree isn't.
JJ

Yes, everyone is in lockdown! I have a pretty good hen house (the ducks sleep in there with them) and it has a opening that goes into another room. I put a bucket of water up high for the chickens in the main hen house, and a bucket of water down low for the ducks in the extra room where no one lays their eggs.
big_smile.png
Since ducks always make mud.
wink.png

My silkies, and seramas have a different hen house and runs. They never get to run free! Then I have another room that I use as a sick bay, and another enclosed pen with a room adjent to it that has teenagers that I am growing up to be laying hens for eating eggs.
big_smile.png
But, I was hopeing to let them join the general populace to roam the pasture soon.

They help keep grasshoppers, ticks, fleas, ect.... down. Saving my flowers, ect.... and my pets and us from bloodsucking pests.

Quote:
How do you descent a trap?

clean it in lye water dye it with logwood and wax it is my SOP I also dye them with walnut hulls if the predator is coming up in your yard it does not care about your scent you do not need to descent it skunky castor has been catching b'cats for me the last coupla years google dirt hole set I also use chrisatmas tinsel hanging over the traps them or CD's tied to a piece of wire tied to a fishing swivel

Ok.... Here's lots of pictures!
big_smile.png
The tracks are about 2 & 1/2" to 3" across!

51220_bobcat_tracks_012.jpg

51220_bobcat_tracks_006.jpg

51220_bobcat_tracks_007.jpg

51220_bobcat_tracks_004.jpg

51220_bobcat_tracks_002.jpg

51220_bobcat_tracks_001.jpg

Here's two places I think it may be denning up in....

51220_bobcat_tracks_016.jpg

51220_bobcat_tracks_015.jpg

Here's a picture of my home-made live trap. It might also be living in the woods between the trap and my house or woods just N. of the trap or some of the woods around the rest of my home!
hmm.png
The woods between the trap (which you see behind the trap are not that deep, but they are thick with underbrush.

51220_bobcat_tracks_017.jpg

So do these look like bobcat tracks, or perhaps lynx????

THERE IS A REAL GOOD CHANCE YOU DO NOT HAVE LYNX IN OK big B'cats yea I could not get the pics to work the larger a cage trap is ( 15" X 15" is a good minimum) the better kina make a tunnel out of you trap and brush leave it so the cat can see through the trap whatever they have eaten is the absolute best bait, most pet owners have a hard time doing this a piece of fake fur, tinsel flickering helps get the cat in the trap feathers inside the trap and around the trap help cats will hunt more by their sense of sight then by smell a dirt hole set that has some of what they have already eaten is hard to beat you can use sticks to guide their feet a lot and put their foot in a trap easily I normally use a number 1.75 or a number 2 size trap when I am catching

No, no Lynx in OK, but bobcats aplenty! They say Mtn. Lion urine will run off bobcats, but if it lures in a mt. lion to see who's been peeing in his/her territory, could make a bad situation worse!

I just got in some Bobcat gland lure and I plan to put a dab on a grown duck (my dad's suggestion) and move the trap to a woody spot, placing some limbs, ect... on it. I also have a young chicken that died and I plan on using some of it's feathers around the trap, and in the trap too!

My dad said to stay away for two days! Only check the trap from a distance.
smile.png
Said my duck would be fine for two days if I place water and feed in with it. Which of course I will.
wink.png
Then if I haven't caught the cat to place a new duck in the holding area. So, this is what I am going to try starting this evening.

Use the dead bird for bait. They may or may not take live bait that doesnt run from it. In a trap it cant. Also try putting your trap into a trail run so its a more natural feeling for them when it approaches.
Live bait will often just get killed and pulled through the wire. You can tie down a dead bird
smile.png

Quote:
with cats it dont hurt to cover the bait about halfway they will normally halfway bury what they kill and save some for later after you bury it a little then use your gland lure on your bait dig a hole under your trap put your bait in and then stake the trap down after you center the trigger over the bait

Back
Top Bottom