Bobcats

I am not trying to find religious support, nor do I shoot thing because I can, I try to model a Godly life styal (particularly in this issue we are discussing) and that involves killing. Jesus killed sheep to cloth the first man, Adam and eve. I also take it you are not a christian by the way that you don't capitalize the g in God. Which means everything I just said about God and Adam and eve means nothing to you, so we might just need to drop it here.
And btw I don't shoot just for fun, I shoot to protect my livestock and family.
Wow. Ok. We diverged from the topic a long time ago but were at least still speaking of chicken predation. I don't think questioning ones religious beliefs is proper or necessary for this forum.

Incidentally, and correct me if im wrong, but Adam and Eve first clothed themselves with fig leaves and were later given animal skins by God. Jesus did not arrive on earth for nearly another 4000 years. Im not a biblical scholar and haven't been in Sunday school for 30yrs so just going off of memory here.

Let's all move on shall we.

I would be worried about the night time screaming. Can the cat or anything reach in and grab them? Are they in an actual coop that is attached to the run or inside the goat fence?
I'm having a hard time imagining your set up.
I would make sure their sleeping area is secure before the run if money is tight. Most of the bad predators are nocturnal. Plus the hens have no way to escape in the dark.
Yes the coop is very secure. I made sure to do that right!!

i dunno your setup .. you could maybe poison it but you run the risk of poisoning something else ..a nice plate of a couple of cans of wet cat food mixed with a generous dose of rat poison would probably do the trick .. id just be careful with your strategy there lol ..

i dunno your setup .. you could maybe poison it but you run the risk of poisoning something else ..a nice plate of a couple of cans of wet cat food mixed with a generous dose of rat poison would probably do the trick .. id just be careful with your strategy there lol ..
i would highly recommend not doing that.

you don't know what will eat said poison and what eats said poisoned animal.

to the op

shooting and trapping are much better ideas.

Get the definition of "threatening?" The mere presence of a predator isn't always considered a threat.

I live in rural mountain land where everyone keeps to themselves. But I still try to know the law so if a busy body neighbor questions anything, i know my footing is solid.

Plus as a hunter, I am a conservationist. I don't kill anything I don't have to for food or defense of my family
If an predator is after my birds they don't last long. They are a threat. They will be back for another try. I have my coops and pens pretty predator proof. Lessons learned the hard way. I have hunted in the past but no more.

Why do you assume that people who chose to protect their livestock are just randomly shooting at anything that moves with no regard to neighbors etc? Or that their coop set up is weak?

A gun is a tool. It serves a purpose. No need to be so judgmental of people who choose to deal with predators as they have been dealt with for hundreds of years.
Life is not a Disney movie.
Yes thank you, My coop is really strong however, I don't want (or have) to test it b/c I shoot the predators. And I went through gun classes, and have owned a gun since I was 8 (well bb gun), my point is I am safe, and good at shooting, so like Chicnmom said, my gun is my tool.

There is a one year old on my property, if I see a bear it would be dead. Every one has a different idea of 'threat', and mine is were it does not belong and that is in my yard.
However everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.
I agree 100% that everyone is entitled to their opinion and am not saying your opinion, or mine for that matter, is right or wrong. Just stating my opinion based upon my experiences.

I have 2 young children as well (3 & 9) that have grown up seeing bears out our dining room windows. on those days they play outside only if supervised. Last fall i had to chase one off our deck at 8ft from me that was looking for the dinner i had cooked on the grill that night. So long as they run when confronted, I don't see them as a threat. When they don't run and pay you no mind, those are the dangerous bears.

Back
Top Bottom