Bobwhite/Coturnix Hybrid Quail

Robo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Knoxville,TN
I saw a bobwhite x coturnix hybrid for sale on Strombergs. They refused to send me a pic. Does anybody know about theese quail or have some of them?

Strombergs do not have a clue what they are selling. The company is based on suppliers. There is NO Bob-bird. I can go into details if you like.

If it's a hybrid, particularly a new one, then getting dependable results is iffy at best. Some might come out all white, others look just like Bob, etc. So, if they give you a pic of whites, and you order and end up with something else entirely, then that could cause problems. Also, odds are they can't guarantee that they would breed true... they wouldn't want anyone thinking that if you order pairs of these birds that their offspring will be the 'true'...

Just a theory of course... but it sorta makes sense.

Quote:
YEAH ALEXANDRA, I'D LIKE TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE DETAILS.....

BECAUSE THERE IS A BOB-BIRD! AND ITS NOT PARTICULARLY NEW EITHER. IT HAS BEEN DONE IN LIMITED QUANTITIES FOR 20+ YRS. IT IS CREATED BY COTURNIX ROO OVER BOB HEN. THERE'S ALOT OF HYPE OUT THERE....

"STERILE CANNOT REPRODUCE"--- CONFLICTING STUDIES SHOW THAT IT CAN REPRODUCE, THO FERTILITY MAY BE LOW

"FAST MATURING" --- BOMPUS! IT MATURES ABOUT 2 WKS SOONER THAN BOBS DO

"GREAT FOR HUNTING"--- TRIPLE BOMPUS! THEY SUCK FOR HUNTING JUST AS BAD AS COTURNIX DO

THE BOB BIRD IS A COMPRMOISE AT BEST... AND AS WITH MOST COMPROMISES IT DOESNT ADEQUATELY COVER EITHER END OF THE COMPROMISE. WHILE THEY ARE DIFFERENT AND UNUSUAL IMO THEY ARE A FREAK AND WASTE OF GOOD GENETIC MATERIAL FROM BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE.

AS FAR AS STROMBERGS.... THEY'RE CORRECT, THEY DONT PRODUCE ANYTHING.... THEY ARE SIMPLY A MIDDLE MAN. THEY TAKE ORDERS AND HAVE PRIVATE BREEDERS SUPPLY THE STOCK ONCE THE ORDER IS IN HAND. IDEAL DOES THE SAME THING.

This is what Stombergs told me :

2005 hybrid between Bobwhite and Coturnix
species. Breeder is trying to develop a flight
bird for the hunting group.
Per her field trials, this hybrid show a zig zag
flight pattern & fly up 10-12 ft. Birds returned
to a trap pen. Her trial hunters only got 33% of
the birds released due to the flight pattern, rest
returned to the trap pen. Apparently a typical
flight pattern for Bobwhites is a 'fountain spray'
type flight dispersal. This hybrid is much more
erratic.
Will have variable coloration both as chicks and
adults due to the genetic varieties in them. No
standard color possible. Full adult wt 14-16 oz
with a broader breast. Breeder is trying to get
an adult color that the hunter can field identify
as different from any other native Bobwhite or
quail.
birds do lay eggs in a pen. They start laying about 8-9 weeks of age. off spring will be bob birds but continual in breeding will cause genetic problems.
They fly at 4-6 weeks. They are more disease resistant than bobwhite.

Stromberg's Chicks and Game Birds Unlimited

Do you think that they would be worth buying to raise for meat?

Quote:
My opinion?............If you want the best "quaility" meat bird, do yourself a favor and stick with some strain of "pure" Bob. Yeah, maturity is not for the impatient processor with this breed, but they are worth the wait if quality is your goal.............Again, my opinion........

Looks like a Tibetan to me, but I never saw any articles on the bob-bird, so I may have been mistaken. I have articles on a quail-chicken hybrids and quail-pheasant hybrids...but the bobwhite and coturnix are from two different families, two different genuses. A new world quail breeding with an old world quail and producing viable offspring? NOT LIKELY
They have different incubation times. The quail-chickens never survived passed a couple months, the quail-pheasants (and both are gamebirds) produced NO OFFSPRING. HOW ON EARTH IS THIS POSSIBLE. Without proper evidence and photographs, I cannot believe it. I have researched from the 1980s and on...wouldn't the bob-bird have come up in the quail articles? Unless you have some information you would like to share with me
smile.png
I am not arguing, just saying that I cannot support this "breed" if it doesn't make any sense.

No For Meat You Want 1 Of 2 Things.... Fast Production Rate= Coturnix, Or Taste= Bobs

The Bob Bird Still Has The Coturnix All Dark Meat Trait And Tastes Like Coturnix, Yet Matures At A Much Slower Rate--- Tho If Created With The Proper Strain Of Bob White May Be Larger In Size. The Breeders Claim To Laying At 8 Wks--- No Way. At Least In My Experience They Didnt Even Mature Until 12-16 Wks. Granted Coturnix Will Lay At A Tender Young Age, But They Dont Lay 1/2 Grown--- They Are Almost Always Very Near Full Size Before Egg Production. And As Far As The Breeders Claim To Hunter Only Getting 33%--- Those Guys Need To Spend More Time At The Sporting Clays Course.... Because My 12 Y/o Daughter Could Whip Them With A Single Shot .410 Without Even Trying!(but Then Again She's Kinda Mean.... Takes After Her Mother!
smile.png
)

I Will Give The Bob Bird Some Credit.... They Can Come In Some Really Cool Looking Patterns/colors.

Now I'm A Self Admitted Purist And Against Hybridyzing Most Speces.... I Have Worked Young Dogs With Bob Birds And Coturnix As Well..... If All You Want Is Mediocre Dog For Field Trials Where All It Will See Are Coturnix In Competition--- Go For It. If You Want A Real Upland Gamebird Dog That Can Perform In The Real World As Well As The Show Ring---- Do It The Slow, Hard, Expensive, Old Fashioned Way--- Use Bob White Quail For Your Training Program And Once Accomplished Expose Them To Partridge Or Grouse As Early As Possible Once Quail Have Been Mastered. A Dog Trained In This Manner Will Out Hunt Any Show Dog 1000:1 As They Learn To Use All Their Senses And Skills, Track Better, And Get A Certain Amount Of Dog Sense That Only Comes From Exposure/ Experience.

You Want Max Meat For Minimum Price? Go Coturnix. You Want Max Taste At Any Price? Go For Bob Whites Or Chukar Partridge. You Want Some Oddity To Show Off To Your Bird Buddies? Get Some Bob-birds. As Stated Earlier... Compromise Rarely Meets Either End Of The Bargain.... Thats The Best Definition My Experience And Opinnion (for What It's Worth...) Can Place On The Bob-bird. Also Because Its An Oddity Strombergs Will Charge High Prices For It Where As You Could Get Regular Coturnix Or Maybe Even Bob White For Quite A Bit Less.

Quote:
mailto:[email protected]

THATS THE LADY MAKING THEM FOR STROMBERGS.... SEND HER AN EMAIL AND SEE FOR YOURSELF
smile.png

EGGS WERE OFFERED FOR SALE ON EBAY AS FAR BACK AS 4/05 AND THE HYBRID HAS BEEN AROUND MUCH LONGER THAN THAT. AS EGGS WERE ALSO OFFERED ON EGGBID AS EARLY AS 05/94. AS FAR AS HYBRIDIZING THE JAPANEZE HAVE CROSSED EVERYTHING WITH FEATHERS. NEW WORLD QUAIL, OLD WORLD QUAIL, LOST WORLD QUAIL(
smile.png
), GUINEAS, CHICKENS, TURKEYS, PEAFOWL, PHEASANTS--- YOU NAME IT THEY HAVE CROSSED IT IN 1 WAY OR ANOTHER FOR 1 STRANGE REASON OR ANOTHER.... ALL IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE (MAD SCIENCE MOST LIKELY, BUT SCIENCE NONETHELESS...
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom