Boer goats as pets

Crittercrzy

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
NE Tennessee
Ok, So looks like my baby is going to make it
big_smile.png
So now the question is...Do Boer goats make good pets? His father is a 300lb hunk of goat..Right now, he's adorable, loving and toooo sweet..but as an adult..a spoiled adult..Is he going to make a good pet?
Here's a new pix of him..I was calling him Romeo, but thats just not sticking...Any name suggestions?
40547_romeo_in_chicken_yard.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming you are going to wether him, he will be a great pet. This is my boer cross (not yet 2) - Danny. He is a total lover, respectful of Humans and an all around ham. The fence he is standing on is 4 ft tall.

Danny_1.jpg

Danny1.jpg

As for a name for your guy:

Sanders (he is the color of Sand)
Sam
Brutice
Malcom
Love Bug

There are a few to get you started.

BTW - Put in your subject (Help me name my goat) and you will get a lot of responses.

Last edited:
We have Boers and they do make good pets. Since he is a male, don't baby him too much. Sometimes that can make one pushy and a little aggressive as adults. Just remember that he is going to grow up. He's rather pretty. Is he crossed with a Nubian?

Don't let him head butt you and don't encourage him to head butt into your hands or something. It is cute when they are little but not so cute when he is an adult and still wants to do that. Definitely wether him and I would have him disbudded if you haven't already. He is a really cute little guy. Good luck with him.

Oh, adorable! hes beautiful! Absolutely keep him as a pet. we had 2 Boer girls that were the sweetest things, spoiled rotten too! 1 was super laid back while the other was a total butthead soemtimes, she LOVED playing with the dogs.
love.gif

I agree, you will definately want to wether him, but in my experience boers are very sweet and laid back, maybe alittle stubborn, but very sweet goats!

They make wonderful pets
smile.png

Our big boof head boer goat Houdini we raised from a tiny kid, and he is so loving and goofy.
He is wethered though... it's probably the best idea to wether him just to avoid macho-ism and aggression.
But they are wonderful, so charismatic and amusing
smile.png

Yes they make fantastic pets!!!! They are so funny to play with and watch.... This is Alby..... we got him off a man that was planning to eat him.... so i bourght him.... has was 6 months old when we got him and alot of people said u cant tame goats unless handreared, they will only come for food.... well it took a while but i used to read to him and slowly he bacoma more fiendly now he is one year old and adores people!!!! He comes runing when called, jumps all over you and tries to play while he bucks and twists hha oh and he thinks hes a dog as he partly lives with ours..... and thinks hes allowed inside.... oh and they are pretty intelligent so u can teach them tricks.... Alby rears on command now....
lol.png

46795_img_0430.jpg

in this pic he was trying to eat the camera but is tethered......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom