Bone (?) growing out of her wattles?

Well, Shady is in the chicken infirmary again. I spoke too soon. Again, 5 months old, has minor surgery for her tongue and went on antibiotics. Has been off ABs for 8 days. This morning I found her before sunrise over two rubber eggs and with what appears to be an impacted crop. Hard golf ball sized mass. I know antibiotics can cause crop probs. I’m not 100% sure the eggs are hers, as she has a tendency to “haunt” the nesting boxes, hopping in and out all day, forcing other hens out even if she’s already laid. To top it off, I had 6 eggs today and only 4 brown layers—so I think she may have laid 2 rubber and one normal!

I isolated her and only fed yogurt and some scrambled egg in oil today. I’ll check her crop again in the morning. I’m just not sure what is causing what. She’s a complicated case. Any ideas? Behavior is normal. Tail up, pissed that she’s in a separate coop container, wants to eat. Not drinking excessively like one with bad impacted crop.

Could antibiotics have caused impacted crop which caused rubber eggs??

Attachments

• 760DF976-D01D-4995-B85E-1FBAD034194E.jpeg
    760DF976-D01D-4995-B85E-1FBAD034194E.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 074E799B-EC70-4292-8911-F04FC8617C8C.jpeg
    074E799B-EC70-4292-8911-F04FC8617C8C.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 8
I wouldn't panic yet......especially if you're not sure that is her egg mess.
Tho you can get some funky eggs when a bird comes back into lay.
I doubt it would be caused by the AB's.

Crop mass. I would take care of that by feeding nothing but Coconut Oil soaked into crumble with gentle massages a few times a day to help break up the mass. I kept my impacted crop bird crated for a week until things smoothed out.
Note that the crate tray is under the crate, easy to observe and clean up poops.
1610540470767.png

I wouldn't panic yet......especially if you're not sure that is her egg mess.
Tho you can get some funky eggs when a bird comes back into lay.
I doubt it would be caused by the AB's.

Crop mass. I would take care of that by feeding nothing but Coconut Oil soaked into crumble with gentle massages a few times a day to help break up the mass. I kept my impacted crop bird crated for a week until things smoothed out.
Note that the crate tray is under the crate, easy to observe and clean up poops.
View attachment 2487363
Her impacted crop was minor and she’s herself again. Didn’t lay today but she’s doing better. Maybe just a bad day. Odd.

Back
Top Bottom