Book Your Spring Poultry Order now from Ideal Poultry

I know it's way easier for me to sell and fulfill an order from one person buying 25 bumper stickers that are the same instead of 3 of each design, a shirt of each color. In fact, I gave someone a HUGE discount because they bought a ton of the exact same item.

yea, just think of ALL the breeds they have...and if you want '2' of twelve different breeds...that's ALOT of leg work....so if 50 people want 2 of twelve different breeds, compared to 10 people wanting 25 of 1 breed....I only think it's fair to charge extra for the 'extra' work.
But, this is coming from someone who is used to sorting birds into several different pens & is READY to get them ALL free ranged in a NEW home (if someone *my DH* would decide which new home he wants to buy)
big_smile.png

just my 2 cents,
Kristi
(whose is also a happy ideal customer)

When I put my(our) order in, I didn't have a bit of trouble--and I have dial-up. Sure there was a lot of back & forth, but it went smoothly unless I made a mistake. I got a confirmation email right away, and they said it may take 2 days to forward the shipping date to me.

They charged a $7 small order charge (we ordered 25), a $9 Quarter box charge, and a $3 Air mail charge. I'm charging Kari the exact cost of HER birds, then we are splitting the shipping charges. ($19.00 )

For what breeds we wanted, it was easy. Now I just hope they have them all! ((crossing fingers & toes))

You all seem to have gotten the boxing charge down and understand the reason that we have to charge the $1.00. Many of you are right. The live animal factor makes a big difference. There is no wait till tomorrow! On a typical spring (Feb - June) hatch we will ship well over 1000 orders.

Let me take a moment to explain how the hatchery is set up and it may help you all to understand what actually goes on here in a very short amount of time. I am going to use a Wednesday hatch date as an example. The Wednesday hatch actually is a 2 day tuesday/wed hatch.

On the proper date and time, eggs are set into settor incubators. For example chicken eggs hatch in 21 days as a guide. Well some may hatch in 20 1/2 and some in 21 1/2. We have records so that each breed will hatch at a specific time - not just a specific day.

On Sunday afternoon - about 150,000 eggs are moved from the setter incubators to the hatchers.

On Tuesday about 9 AM the 'early' chickens will begin to hatch. Each breed hatches at a particular time. We always hatch our vent sex birds first so that the sexors can begin sexing them. By noon approx. 6 - 8 people are feather sexing chickens and then another 8-10 begin shipping the orders. All chickens must leave for the post office by 6 pm. If they do not leave then we must find an order that they can be put on that is only a one day shipment and those are shipped out on Wednesday

At 5 am on Wednesday it all starts over and the deadline remains 6pm. There is no tomorrow.

With as many breeds as we have. Every breed and every sex has a particular place in the hatchery. The chickens are pre-counted into boxes of 100 - 4 sections of 25 with 1 extra per section. This allows us to take accurate counts and know what we have hatched that day and what still remains for us to sell. It also gives us hatching percentages so that we can 'accuratly' predict the future.

One of Shippers takes each order and walks around the room filling the order. Puts the labels on the box, a person ties the box, and then a person puts postage on the box. At the end of the day the packages are taken either to Bryan, Texas or Waco, Texas to be delivered to your home within 2 days.

I hope this answers some of your questions about our processes. It is very tedious work within a strict time frame. So the customer that orders more of one breed, thus allowing the shipping time to be shorter enjoys the benefits of that.

Quote:
I am slower than most, so bear with me, I was on site read shipping info, where did you find quarter box charge, and is small order charge $1 for each seperate breed? I get the $3 air mail.

Can i ask what you ordered? Maybe that would help.

i think its different for every one .. cuz mine said this Small Order Charge $7.00
Quarter Box Charge $5.00
Air Mail Charge $3.48
and i ordered 29

The boxing charge will vary from one order to the next dependig on how many different breeds you order.

I am going in with a friend who wants a couple of each; buttercups, blue, black, and buff cochins.
I am getting bantam frizzle cochins, blue wyandottes,
and 2 each of these: SS hamburgs, speckled sussex, GLW,
partridge rocks, and buttercups.

According to my calculations, if we don't change our minds before Feb. 1, my boxing charge would be $10.00,

plus the less than one full box charge of $7.00,

plus .12 per chick for 30 chicks, $3.60

My total shipping cost would be $20.60.

I don't think that's bad to be able to get exactly what I want.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom