Border Collies and Chickens?

vtchickenlvr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
We have a new dog on trial from the shelter. She appears to be a Border Collie. Does anyone have advice on introducing her to the chickens? So far, she has only been around them on lead. Her crouching and wanting to run up to the chickens is making me and the chickens nervous! So, my question is: do Border Collies just endlessly chase? Do they try to catch and grab on? How do I get her to cohabitate peacefully w/ the chickens like my other 2 dogs do? She is very smart and seems to listen to me well! Any "dog meets chicken" stories and advice would be much appreciated!
hmm.png

She probably just wants to "herd" them. Wish I had a "herder" to keep my chickens in my yard and not the neighbor's.

Jen

I have a border collie cross, she was a city dog for her first 5 yrs. I introduced her to the geese that are at the farm, she did try to nip at them, but when they turned the tables, she quickly backed off.
I let her see the chickens, with her outside the pen. She did want to herd them.
I worked with her on commands, such as "OUT", down, heel, and the sit/stay. When I got her understanding and doing those commands, I had her ON leash with me in the pen.
The "Out" command is for her to get away OR out of the area. I use it with horses and the chickens.
IF you have a large yard and can let out a few chickens, keeping her ON a leash or long rope, slowly introduce her to them. Using commands with the NO! and "Get of it!" (an australian term- I think).
Keeping the dog next to you, so she learns she can be around these animals but is not allowed to do anything TO them.
My BC cross will whine and pace outside their pens, they are in stalls for the winter with plastic up so she can't see them. BUT I allow her in, and she is right by my side, watching them, NEVER hurting or herding them.
She is 9 now so it wasn't easy but I ride with her when I am on my horse, they help me keep the goats and horses at bay when I have to go into a pen OR open up a gate.
Training, praise, and consistency are the keys.

Hope this helps
Carol

We have a border collie and she does fantastic with all the birds. She came to us as an adult - rescue of a rescue.

With the birds, we worked letting her know they were ours. Any motion that worried the birds is not allowed. You stay calm, the words "leave it" should be instilled in the dog and then divert her attention. It will take YOUR birds a bit to feel comfortable around the dog, and until then you might want to keep her leashed around the birds. (that way if you have a bird who panics for some reason and flops/flaps screetches back to the coop or into the run - the dog does not automatically chase)

BUT do find a chore that she can do - our is encouraged to chase rabbits, ground squirrels, mice, rats and other rodents AND rewarded when she does catch something.

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

Thanks for the replies! Good point about getting the chickens used to her! The first time she got near them she charged toward them, so it will take some time. But, you are right, if the chickens freak out like they are now and she's off lead she will be too tempted! I appreciate the encouragement and I will keep working w/ her. I would love to try her w/ the geese first, but so far they are high tailing it away as soon as they see her!

I have to say that i dont think they would be the best - they are bred for that sort of thing herding and so forth. I have seen shows on the m where Airports use the borders to chase geese off and so forth. Strictly hired for that. I also know of a woman who has a Belgian Terveuren - another herder type dog and owns a small airport and that is all the dog does is chase birds - just a thought

Hi, we own a border collie and have 7 free roaming chickens in city limits. Our dog, of course, wants to herd the chickens. But most often she doesn't bother them. In the begining we watched her constantly. To make sure she didn't want to eat them or something. She really had no interest in that. Just curious. So, depending on her mood she doesn't bother chasing them as much anymore. And the chickens are thriving. you will love your border collie. Ours is the BEST dog we have ever had. Absolute smartest, too!

Quote:
Some are more just-herdy, some have more of a "complete" instinct and *will* actually get ahold of the herd-ee. So I would not take it for granted that just because it's herding behavior it will *stop* at mere herding.

Pat

My experiences with border collies and my poultry have been extremely positive, but I've also heard bad stories about border collies and poultry. I think it depends on how you train them. My border collies have always tried to herd the chickens, but they know that the chickens are friends and don't touch a feather on them. I introduce them initially in the house and with the dog on a leash and the chicken in my hand, and allow them to sniff but correct for any lunging, obsessive behavior, or anything like that. It can be a slow process, but some dogs catch on quickly. My corgis were both rescued as adults, and learned to be nice to the poultry extraordinarily quickly. Any aggressive behavior towards the chickens was verbally corrected, and any gentle behavior or giving the chickens some space is rewarded with treats and lots of praise. I now trust them and my border collie enough to let them in the coop on occasion. They sniff, say hi, and wag their tails, maybe try to steal some of the chicken food, and nothing else. The other thing is, if you introduce them to a feisty chicken and they get pecked on the nose, that teaches them to back off as well.

Good luck! Border collies are awesome dogs and can be incredible with the poultry if trained carefully. My dogs all know (of all silly commends) "That's a nice chicky!" in a sweet voice, which means basically to be gentle.

Back
Top Bottom