Bored babies??

if you hang something from the cabbage family for them, they should have fun laying with it, plus it's good for them. Just make sure they have grit and they have to jump a bit to get to it. Maybe put it lower at first so they learn to like it, then raise it up. That is a suggestion in all three of my chicken books, but for the record, I have not tried it myself. I have read many posts on here, though, and people seem to like this trick.

Quote:
You missed the secret ingredient. Try some chopped hard boiled egg. They'll have a blast playing keep away with the pieces of egg white and the protein is good for them.

Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

We have a little non-dust hay,a small rock and wood for perching. These were my daughter's ideas, but she was right- they love it.

I think it makes sense that the light affects their behaviour. They wake up at dawn and they return to the coop at dusk. Migratory birds use light as a guide. Maybe light sense is their primary sense?

lol I can build a sandbox for them to play in while basking under the red light, give them mini lettuce and yogurt sandwiches, with a jungle gym to climb on...

I think it's so funny you can give them eggs...

I was told recently that one of the best things for chicks is peat moss of all things. It has all the natural bacteria they need to be healthy and sticks and twigs and dried up worms and all kinds of good chick stuff to play with. I tried it and they love it! They groom through it like ducks, pick up the twigs and occupy themselves for hours. It also absorbs heat from the light. I also use a red light. They rest so much better and leave each other alone. The peat can be changed once a week and sprinkle it on your flower beds! You can buy a big bale of it at a home center for $6.00. You shouldn't need all of it, use it on your plants too, but invest!

dotaken1 wrote:
My chicks never play with anything! They're slackers!!!!!!
They run and jump around like normal, but they don't like anything.
I've tried pine cones, grapes, lettuce, yogurt, and milk. Not the slightest bit interested!!! They would rather peck the side of the brooder than mess with any of that.
The only things they like are their chick food and oatmeal.

You need to get some meal worms then. That was the first snack I gave mine at age 3 wks and they went nuts. Flying over on my lap, my arms, and now when I open the top one of the BO flys up on my back while I'm bent over.

Last night I scrambled fresh eggs from a coworker that has spring eggs coming out her eye balls and fed little pieces of that worm size and they loved that as well. Even flying up to be the first to grab it out of my fingers.

I also sprinkle a little scratch and feed in the brooder so they have something to find while they scratch around.

Putting in hunks of sod w/grass was good but messy.

I'm going to try the pine cone tonight.

Something else to keep in mind with the young ones. ANYTHING you put in their brooder is going to get you dirty looks aka "stink eye". They'll look at it and then look at you like you are trying to poison them.
Just because they act disinterested at first, don't give up. Leave it in there with them for awhile and soon one brave soul with try it. The others will quickly follow suit .

Last edited:
How do you get them to eat yogurt and drink milk?? I've tried putting it in a little saucer or on a spoon by their beak and they just ignore it, or get in it and make a mess.

Quote:
I personally wouldn't give the little ones milk. Plain low fat yogurt is great though. Just leave a dish of it in with them for awhile. Yes, they make a mess with it. Some of it makes it into their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom