bottom of the pecking order......your advice please?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
Hello everyone,
I have 19 hens, 14 of them about 10 mo old , and 5 older girls, all have been living together for a about 6 months now.

About a month ago, I noticed one of my 10 mo Delawares was being pecked all along her neck and a place on her shoulder. I originally treated her with "peck no more" a bad tasting cream and have been watching her carefully. There has been no blood, but she is completely bare about 3 inches along her neck. It doesn't even look like new feathers are starting.....I have also been applying an antibiotic cream. She is not getting any worse, no blood, but no better either.

I isoloated her for a few days about a month ago to see if her neck would heal, but the separation from the rest of the flock seemed to make her more of an outcast. My hens are out about 4 hours in the am and 3 hours in the pm, closed in at night. I added another roosting bar to give everyone more space a couple of weeks ago. My concern is that she is not healing.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Anne

Is the skin red or discolored? If it's just a bare spot it will eventually feather back out, but it may take a while. You didn't mention any roos. The only time I have had a hen with bare neck was my americana who just didn't want to give it up.... I eventually had separate the roo because he just kept trying. He had her neck almost bald. It took her a few months to start looking somewhat normal again.

Is she still getting pecked at? I've never had problems with too much pecking after the first few days, so I can't really help you there.

Jess

Thank you for your response. The skin is quite red although not bloody. I don't have any roos and it seems like all the girls will take a shot at her. She has become quite a loner and even is not as friendly with me anymore. I feel so badly for her and don't know how I can help.
Anne

The only thing I can figure is that they see the red and it just encourages them to peck again. There is a topical treatment, called blue-kote, that they use with picky chicks. It covers the redness with a blue coating so they don't see the red and don't pick at it. It also helps in the healing process as a anti-bacterial/anti-fungal. I have never used it myself but I've heard of a lot of people using it with success. I've seen it at either the feed store or Tractor Supply, they use it for horses so it should be pretty easy to find. Just be warned, it will stain you and your clothing. There's nothing there to hurt her, so I'd try it.

Jess

Hi Jess,
I think the Blue Kote is similar to the Peck no More except the staining is a brown and laced with healing ingredients as well. The tea tree oil contains the bitter taste that repels the pickers. I haven't been using the PNM lately but will go back to it...hadn't thought about the red color, I have been watching for blood. Thank you for your responses.
Anne

Anne,
You're very welcome
smile.png
Hopefully that'll help. I just hope the feathers start back soon and don't wait to come in till the fall moult. Good luck!

Jess

Back
Top Bottom