BOTULISM???

evitachu

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2015
Hi, I have an emergency. My bantam chochin was suddenly unable to get up. She is so fluffy. I soaked her in warm bath, and I just realized that she is so skinny.
Anyway, she is still alert and she doesn't look pale. She just doesn't want to get up. Her neck is also not droopy. I don't know what it is.
I want to rule out Marek because I did not see any symptoms that point to it.
I am trying to remember what I did differently this week: (1) instead of changing water daily, i changed the water once in 3 days. Also, the bin for fermentation, I usually scrubbed clean for every use, this time I did not.
Do you think that the bacteria was caused from any of these, if it is Botulism?

Question:
The epsom salt flush -- how much PER serving should I administer? How many times/day?

Feeding: she wouldn't eat, even when I offered her mealworms. So i syringe feed her.
How much time after feeding di I administer the flush? What kind of food? Right now I am feeding her dry food + egg yolk.

Electrolytes: She seems lethargic. Should I also give this to her?

What I want to know is, the timing of each step that I should give. Obviously she can't eat everything all at once, right?

Please help!!!!
Thank you!!

Check for mites/lice ect.Chickens with botulism cant walk nor can they use there wings.I don't think she has botulism.what does her diet consist of.What makes you think it is not mareks?

Feed her eggs,Wet mashed chicken food.

Last edited:
If she won't eat, then give her anything she wants. Some food is way better then no food.
Botulism is a toxin that is found in rotting carcasses/meat. It thrives when there is a lack of oxygen. Is there any chance that she could've gotten into roadkill or something? If you scrub the fermentation bin clean after every use, then I doubt that the toxin would develop that fast.
If she lives for 48 hours after the original poisoning, there is a bigger chance that she will recover.

The measurments for an epsom salt flush is 1 tsp epsom salt into 2 tbsp of water, gently poured or squirted down the birds throat twice daily for 3 days, ot until the bird recovers. BTW, everything i just said is from the chicken health handbook. I don't have that much knowledge or poetic ability to say it like that
wink.png

How old is she? Is she having any droppings, and what are they like? Is she lying down or sitting? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Not being able to stand or walk can be a symptom of many different problems, such as dehydration, an injury, moldy food, botulism, Mareks, but also something like coccidiosis. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy or sleepiness, refusal to eat, runny poops, and standing or sitting hunched or puffed up. Botulism usually causes paralysis of feet and legs, progressing to wings, then neck until unable to breathe. Mold poisoning can cause imbalance, wry neck, not eating, convulsions, and death. Hopefully, this is just a temporary case of illness. You may want to check into tube feeding her twice a day with KayTee baby bird feed. A tube and syringe can be obtained from a vet or you can temporarily use a piece of aquarium tubing burned on one end to remove sharps ends. Here is a good thred with info and videos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I don't see poop hanging on her bottoms, and I should note that her bottom is quite clean and fluffy. I found her on the ground sitting in a broody position this morning.
She is alert, her eyes are open and her comb is red. She just keeps her body in the broody position. Yes she puffs up.

Yeah, i reused the fermented bin without washing this week. I did that on Thursday :( I was really rushing and I was so busy this week.

I checked the other chickens,they are all ok and happy and active. Maybe Molly's immune system is down, so she is susceptible to germs?

I can't find her poop yet. You're right, there could be a number of possibilities.

I don't know what to do.... let me take a picture of her.

How old is she? She looks young in her picture. Coccidiosis can really be a problem in younger pullets, and that can be treated with Corid or amprollium. Is she old enough to actually be broody? Don't beat yourself up about the washing out the bin. Can you check her for a stuck egg if she is old enough to lay?

How old is she? She looks young in her picture. Coccidiosis can really be a problem in younger pullets, and that can be treated with Corid or amprollium. Is she old enough to actually be broody? Don't beat yourself up about the washing out the bin. Can you check her for a stuck egg if she is old enough to lay?

She actually just started laying this week. 2 eggs so far. No egg is stuck, it is empty. She is 6 months old. She just tried to drag herself just now. I have had cocci episode with 2 week old chicks, they were not lethargic like this.

Hmmmmm.... is she coughing/sneezing and having trouble breathing? She could have a severe respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom