Boxer - serious laceration - HELP!

It looks like the tissue is dried out/dead along the edges. It really should be re-cut and stitched again, though that's some ugly work. Did it look like that when it was done?

Don't take the stitches out yet. If the wound is not healed and it just opens right up when you take them out, you will be up a creek with no paddle. It's a heavy use area. You can tape a clean sock on the dog to help keep it clean.

ETA: To say they "*****" is maybe harsh and not a great word for a forum full of preteens.

Last edited:
Sorry, I edited it.

I'm just so upset. We don't have another $400. I am just absolutely frustrated and sick about the whole situation.

We love this dog. He's excellent with our kids and is just a big butterball.

What the heck are we supposed to do, you know?

Sorry, all, I'm just not having a good day. Sorry if I offended anyone with my wording.

Em

I can't believe the vet isn't willing to do follow up without charging you an arm and a leg for it. Around here the vets I've dealt with don't charge for follow up visits. Looks like a half a_ _ job to begin with. One of my DIL's dogs just recently had to have a leg amputated. She got bad infection in it and they had to sedate her 3 or 4 times to redo drain tubes and such and they never charged her any additional for it.

Quote:
I am so glad I am not the only one thinking that. My first thought was someone used dental floss at home trying to patch it.

OP, you didn't offend me at all. Sometimes it's easy to forget there are kids around
smile.png

The dog could be allergic to the suture material. I would remove the sutures and keep it clean. I had a dog that was allergic to the sutures they put in his knee it did almost the something.
You are doing the dog NO good to keep then in. As the tissue swells it will pull on the sutures making things worse.
During the day I would not bandage it, at night try a poultice to help the nastys to drain.

I'm sure the swelling and infection haven't helped how it looks, but I can't believe it looked to good to begin with. I'd be tempted to at least take every other stitch out. Maybe then the infection could drain out better. Those edges aren't going to heal together anyway. I'd think it's going to have to heal from the inside out now.

I'd call every vet within driving distance and explain the situation to them....including about your son....I can't believe there's not one that won't take payments.

Last edited:
I have a brindle boxer as well. If it were my dog I would seriously think of taking it back to the vet (in my opinion a different one that did this since follow up visits usually go WITH the surgery to begin with) and have it looked at ASAP. He could lose his leg over this. I worked at the vets off for a few years and we had many dogs lose legs over this sort of infection...especially if it start spreading. They may have to reopen it to get the infection out and maybe put a cast on it to keep the dirt from reentering. Good luck! I sure hope he's ok!

Back
Top Bottom