boy are they going to be MAD. Vacation.

libbyhan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
New to chickens. I have 6 pullets (we think- though Rita the EE is looking more and more ROO to us- red comb buds that are much redder than Anita's) that are about 12 weeks old in the coop. We free range 99% of the time in our sheltered, fenced back yard. We have a run on our coop that is just big enough for the 6 chickens, but have never locked them in for the day. In fact, we just finshed the run this past weekend.

We had a big storm come by last night and I locked them in the run for the first time (I got lucky- they were all in, so I shut the door) and MAN, they were not happy. Pacing and peeping- giving me the stink eye.

Little do they know that we are leaving for 4 days this week. We have a house sitter coming and I don't want her to have to deal with an injury or a loss (knock on wood). So, we've decided to lock them in the coop and run for the time we are gone. We have a forraging brick of some sort that I got at the feed store and a couple heads of cabbage for them. But, they are going to be mad at us.

Any advice? I know that they will just get over it, but I don't want them to behave badly. The 2 EEs get picked on a bit.... but there is the requisite amount of room in the coop and run.

Poor chickies.

I'd suggest locking them in a few times while you can observe to see if there are any problems, not just fighting and such but problems with feeders or waterers, maybe can they find a way to get out, maybe there is a tight spot where they can get stuck. Basically just a check for problems before you dump that on a sitter.

They may pout a bit when you come back, when I was in the hospital, they were a bit miffed with me.

Mine are happier in the run, since I added some things to it, I have a roost, a couple of tree branches, and a porch so that they can get out of the wind or the sun. I keep a couple of spare cages in there, and they seem happier when they can jump up on a few things, and are not all at ground level. I think it allows them to kind of get away from each other too.

Just an idea. MrsK

I agree with the waterer check. I was pet sitting and instructed to come every other day. No problem, but one of the hens decided it was fun to knock over the waterer. I scrounged a nipple waterer so they had a back up so it worked out. Maybe the chicken was mad her people left her?
gig.gif

Last edited:
Good advice on the waterer. We have 2 and will use them in 2 locations. My pet sitter has to come at least 3 times a day for the dogs- so hopefully that will be OK.

I'm tempted to tell her to let them free range if it's over 90. Seems a shame to keep them in. They have an under the coop run (with another 30sq ft off of that), so they have loads of shade.

Back
Top Bottom